Chapter 47

A few days ago I had to go to the doctor's office to get blood drawn for the paternity test. Today I am returning, with Martin, and hopefully they have the results.

I've been pregnant for eleven weeks, and I am really starting to show now. I'm trying to buy a lot of oversized clothing, and avoiding tight shirts at all costs. The media won't stop posting stuff about me 'gaining weight', but I don't care.

I flinch as the doctor squirts the cool liquid onto my belly, and begins to rub her device around.

"Your baby is doing perfect," she says. "Would you like to know the sex?"

I get nervous. I wasn't expecting to know the gender so soon.

Secretly, I've really always wanted a girl. I just love the whole idea of them. When I think about a boy, all I can recall is my little brother always being messy and never doing what he was told.

Martin looks at me, asking with his eyes, 'do we?'. I nod.

"Yes. We would like to know."

I look up at him leaning over me and I can't help but think about the future. I honestly believe that he would make an amazing father. He's even taking such good care of me. He has always done that.

"It's a girl!"

I squeal and begin to celebrate, squeezing Martin's hand and making weird noises as he just looks down at me, grinning and laughing. Without even realizing what I was doing, I grab his face and give him a short but meaningful kiss on the lips.

"Congratulations," the doctor says. "I'll leave you two alone."

She leaves the room, and I actually begin to squeal again.

"Oh my god!" My cheeks hurt from all the smiling. "We're going to have a girl! I've always wanted a girl!"

"Maybe even in the future we'll have a boy. You never know," Martin says, and I'm completely taken aback. He notices. "Too soon?"

"No," I say. "I didn't know you thought about this stuff. Wow. You think we're going to be a family?"

"Aren't we going to be?"

It's true. I mean, that is what I want. I guess I've just been focusing on the near future, and not in a few years. Oh my god, will we be married?

My head floods with questions that neither of us are able to answer. That we can only find out in the future.

"Are you happy with all this?" he asks.

"I actually really am," I respond. "I thought it would ruin my life, but now I think it's just making it better."

He flashes a genuine smile.

Someone knocks on the door, "May I come in?" the doctor asks.

"Of course," I say.

She enters and begins to wipe the gel off my belly with a gentle wipe.

"I'm going to go set up the next appointment, okay?" Martin says. I nod and he leaves the room.

"Do you have the results?" I ask immediately after the door shuts.

"I do," she turns around and grabs an envelope that was lying on the counter. "Here you go. Good luck."