Chapter 44

Erin McAfee

Blackmail.

That's what Mason was doing to me.

He was blackmailing me in agreeing to be his date on Sky and Alyssa's wedding today.

I don't know how much he knew but I know that what he knows between me and Zac were enough for him to use it against me.

Now, I'm rethinking my perception about him --- if what he showed me these past few days was his true self. I mean, he said it himself that he hired someone to follow Zac. Which means he knows how Zac had disregarded and treated me on the latter part of our relationship.

Thinking about this, the days I've spent with Mason, he was nothing but a sweet gentleman and a goof. Never had he became serious and opened up about himself, until the night at the park.

I'm now doubting his real intentions to me. Was he really a good man just like what he had shown me or he has some hidden grudge towards Zac and that he's only using me to get to him?

I mean, if it's the latter, what good can he get from me? Zac had thrown me already, he doesn't want me anymore and had already moving forward with his life ---no remorse and/or guilt.

I shook my head and sighed quietly.

"You know, you can always tell me what you're thinking." I heard Mason spoke beside me.

"I'm fine." I said while still looking outside his car window.

Today, we are on our way to the wedding of Sky and Alyssa. Even if it was against my will, I still agreed to be his date. I can't risk him telling whatever he knows to Olivia, besides, after this day, I planned on staying away from him.

I heard him took a deep breath and spoke again. "Erin, I know you're mad at me for using everything I know on you, for making you agree to be my date, and I'm so sorry for that." He enunciated then whispered "Desperate times calls desperate measures."

I furrowed my brows when I heard it so, I looked at him.

"What do you mean by that?" I asked bluntly.

He looked at me sideways and gave a brief shy smile at me.

"It wasn't meant for you to hear it... Anyway, to answer your question, I want you to be my date as well as to rub it in Zachary's face that you can also move on from him---"

"You have no right to decide nor interfere on what's happening in my life." I interrupted him because what he said angered me. How dare he interfered on my life when I didn't ask him to.

"I know, but seeing you consumed by your emotions as well as your memories with him, it made me take the matter on my own hands, and I'm so sorry for that." He apologised and I could feel the sincerity in it but I swore to myself to not trust him anymore.

"YOU HAVE NO RIGHT, MASON COOPER! NO RIGHT! Just because you knew what happened doesn't mean you can interfere! You know, I kept thinking that you have a hidden grudge on him and that you're using me to get him. Well, I've got news for you, mister, you've reached an impasse and I'm now moot to your future plans." I raised my voice to him.

He looked at me in shock and parked the car on the side of the road. He looked at me in disbelief and shook his head.

"What the hell are you talking about?! Why did you think that I am using you to... unbelievable." He paused and took a deep breath and shook his head. He brushed his hair with his hand like he was frustrated.

When he's still trying to think of something, I used it as my chance to speak.

"You followed him instead of me. I mean, I'm not saying that you should've followed me but if what you told me that you like me was true, then it's only logical that you will have me followed, that you will be curious about what I was doing everytime. But it wasn't. Instead, you have Zac followed.
You see, Mason, when you have someone followed, you want to know everything about them, for what? To hold something over them. Now tell me, isn't that suspicious?" I raised my left brow at him.