Chapter 2

Erin McAfee

“Good evening.” Zac politely greeted me and smiled.

As always, the butterflies in my stomach were in chaos when he smiled at me.

Goodness, I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of seeing that beautiful yet dangerous smile. The smile that makes you giddy and blush, like I am now.

I heard him took a deep breath and when I looked at him, he’s staring at me intensely. I couldn’t read him but it makes my heart thud even more. Oh geez, this kind of stare will make you blush without realizing it.

As I realized that I may be blushing hard and making myself a fool in front of him, I cleared my throat lightly and smiled sweetly.

“Good evening, Zac. I’m sorry if Olivia forced you to accompany me tonight.” I apologized at him sincerely.

He’s a very busy man, so being forced to be my date tonight instead of having a good night sleep is making me feel bad for him.

“It’s okay, Erin. So, let’s go?” he asked.

I nodded, and I closed my door. He walked first while I followed him towards the lift. I took a couple of deep breaths to calm my nerves down.

As we went to the front of my apartment building, I immediately saw Phil, his personal driver and bodyguard standing by the Rolls Royce waiting for us.

Phil then immediately went to open the door for us to get in. When he made sure that we're already settled on the plush seat of the luxury vehicle, he started navigating the road.

Awkward silence quickly filled in the whole car ride. I was playing with my fingers while the devilish handsome man beside me was busy typing on his phone while leaning back on the leather seat.

You can clearly see that he’s exhausted. Which made me feel bad for him even more. That's why I decided to speak.

“Uhmm, Zac, you know, I’m really really sorry for tonight. I told Olivia that I am fine being alone, she shouldn’t have forced you to accompany me when you should be resting tonight. I’m so sorry.” I looked at him and apologized, I made sure that it reflected my eyes.

He looked at me and put his phone in the pocket of his blazer.

“I told you, it’s okay Erin. No need to apologize.” He smiled again.

“I’m actually glad I am your date tonight.” He mumbled.

I looked at him confuse because I didn’t hear what he had said.

“I’m sorry, you said something?” I asked confusedly because I didn’t know if he said something or just a product of my paranoia.

“I didn’t.” he shook his head and continued. “By the way, Olivia said that I needed to be by your side for the whole night. I should not leave you out of my sight, meaning, you should be on my side for the whole night.” He explained.

I raised my brows at him for I couldn’t believed what he just said. Ugh, Olivia, why are you making my night so uncomfortable? I thought to myself and sighed.

“Zac, Livy’s not there, so it’s fine if you don’t follow her instructions. Actually, it’s fine by me if you will mingle around and leave me, I can just sit somewhere else.” I said to him but he just sighed.

He was going to say something, but Phil beat him to it by knocking lightly at the partition then rolled it down slightly, enough for him to notify us that we are entering the venue.

“Ms. McAfee and Mr. North, we are here now.” He said politely yet emotionless. Then we came to a halt, I saw Phil went out of the car then opened the car door for us.