Chapter 13

Erin McAfee

After I regained my composure I took a deep breath and went inside the ballroom.

I glanced at Zac's table and saw that he's looking at me then when he saw me looking at him, he winked at me. I looked at Livy beside him and thank God she's busy snuggling with Nick.

I picked up my pace and went to our table.

Alex and I were in a different table because he's representing their company.

"Hey. Are you okay?" Alex asked as I sat beside him, he placed his palm on my upper back in a gentle manner to assure if I was okay.

I smiled at him and held his arm.

"Yes. I am fine. It's just that it's so suffocating in here." I said lowly.

Then he leaned on to me and whispered.

"Yup, super boring. That's why I hated to attend to these kinds of events. Do you want to go now?" He whispered and I smiled.

"Nope. I'm fine." I said.

"Are you sure, Erin?"

"I am." I smiled at him then he placed his arm on the tiffany chair I was sat on.

"Just hang on tight, this auction is the last program of the gala. After this, we can go now." He pronounced and I nodded at him.

Alex is a really thoughtful guy. I don't need to know him deeper to say that because I can see it in him that he's a good guy despite being a playboy. I mean, Livy won't also urge me to go out with him if he's a douche, right.

Towards the end of auction, Mr. Sherate's daughter, Giulia, came up on stage to announce another type of bidding.

"Hello, everyone. As I have mentioned earlier, there will be a new twist in our auction tonight. I'm sure some of you were being approached awhile ago to give the name of the person you want to be auctioned. Meaning, the names that they gave to us will be auctioned tonight and a one-day date with him or her was the subject for tonight's twist." She said excitedly.

Oh geez. How was this exciting? I mean it's creepy to be up there being bid upon by the people whom you don't even know. Oh my God. Also, what if someone did not make a bid on you? It's humiliating.

Anyway, I just hope that I was not in the list.

"Tonight, we have 10 names on the list. Also, just a gentle reminder, you only allowed to bid once per person. So, first name on our list is... Jessica Spencer. She's the Chief Financing Officer at the Sherate Shipping Lines. She's 38 years old and single. The one who referred her name was yours truly. So, Jess, come on up here." Giulia announced cheerfully and a spotlight was focused to a beautiful black woman.

You could see that she's trying to refuse but the spotlight was taunting her not to. Then two ushers fetched her to go up the stage.

Ugh. I hate that kind of feeling, being forced to agree.

Anyway, the names were called one by one. Now, down to the last name, whew, thank God, we're nearing to the end of this program. I can go home and relax after this.

But. NAY NAY! This whole day was a big jinx in my life.

"Last but definitely not the least, Erin McAfee. She's the youngest child of Rance and Desiree McAfee. She's 23 years old and already a senior editor-in-chief in PSI Publishing House. She's single and ready to mingle, according to Olivia North, her best friend and the one who actually provided her name tonight. So, Ms. McAfee, come on up." Giulia announced and I was shell shocked by it. Then the spotlight was focused on me.