Chapter 52

Erin McAfee

Today will be a very good day.

I said to myself cheerfully after I'd gotten ready to for the day. Actually, for the past six months and a half, that's what I always tell to myself to condition my brain and mood. I believe starting the day in a positive way will make your day bearable and happier.

True enough though, I rarely had gotten a bad day here in The Netherlands.

When I called my sister Tyra six and a half months ago to tell her about my situation and wanting to get away from there, she offered me to stay in their house in Amsterdam. of course I agreed because firstly, I needed to get away from New York ASAP and secondly, I love The Netherlands, it's a beautiful and vibrant country --- a perfect place to clear your mind and soul.

But I moved here in Scheveningen a month ago because my friend Dean, one of the three friends I made in Amsterdam, told me to experience it's wide sandy beach, the refreshing sea air, unique sights, fun attractions and beautiful museums. With that, I did not hesitate and agreed, also he was kind enough to let me use his family old vintage house for as long as I wanted. At first I refused but he said that no one uses it since he moved in the city and his parents were already dead.

I'm glad I agreed though because his family house was located near the pier where it displays a very beautiful scenery anytime of the day, especially the golden hour. That's why I made it a habit to come home everyday to go to the pier or just look outside my window to witness the spectacular close of the day.

I don't know why but sunsets make me calm, it gives me serenity and inner peace. Unfortunately, back home, I rarely witness sundowns as I was busy with my work. However, one of my fondest memory of experiencing this magical sunset was when Zac brought me to Famiglia, where Edna, Lorna's sister, runs the place.

That was the day I was so exhausted and beat from all my workload so, Zac canceled his reservation at some restaurant and brought me to Famiglia instead. He said that whenever he wanted to escape all his responsibilities, he will go there to unwind and be one with the locals.

Which was true though, just by looking at the exterior of the place gives you tranquility. Also, add the fact that you are with the person you love the most. It's a complete--- wait a minute, why was I thinking about it?

Damn it! I'm breaking the most important rule I set for myself when I decided to get away from home, to not think about Zac or any memories related to him. Ugh! Seriously though?

I shook my head ferociously to clear my mind and when I opened my eyes, my bike was about to collide with the bench but I immediately steered right and hit something or someone with my bike.

I suppressed the collision to the person and forced my bike to hit the bush so that he won't receive the full impact and just grazed the bike handles to him, however, by doing that, I fell hard for my bike's sadle because of the impact.

I quickly stood up but the pain in my right foot forced me to kneel on the sand and picked up the books I just borrowed from the library while apologising to the man. I swear I was kinda scared to face him because I know he'll start to shout at me because of what I had done. So, Imagine when I heard him say that it was okay and even helped me pick up one of of my books.

I looked at him and I froze.

Never had I thought nor imagined that I will be seeing the familiar blue eyes that could make my insides melt and make me nervous in anticipation.

Just like right now, when he hugged me. Oh dear Lord, please tell me I was only dreaming, please wake me up from this dream, I don't want to feel these things again. Pleaseeee...