Chapter 12

Erin McAfee

I. Am. So. Tired.

I just want to go home and sleep the whole day away, but since I am a responsible person, like my friends say, I won't do that because one, I have to turnover some of my pending works as a junior editor to Trish, my team's lead and my successor, before 4pm. And second, I have to get ready for Mr. Sherate's Charity Gala tonight.

My phone chimes indicating that I received a text message.

Hey Erin, good afternoon. I hope you didn't get annoyed when you saw my name again popped in to your notification.

I just want to remind you about later. Thank you, thank you for giving me another chance. See you later.

Alex

I smiled when I read it then I replied a brief 'Hahaha. See you later, Alex.'

He then replied the monkey emoji that's covering its eyes. With that, my smile widened.

Oh Alex, you lifted up my mood.

I shook my head and returned to sorting the files while remembering how he chased me just to apologise to me.

Since the night he came to my apartment when both of my best friends were here, he called me everyday and leaves handwritten apology letters either at my front door or he will ask our receptionist to hand it over to me.

At first I was annoyed because he was so persistent but when I read his letters, I can feel the sincerity in them. So, when I sawi him giving another letter to our building's receptionist, I approached him and stood behind him then crossed my arm on my chest.

He was startled when he turned around then immediately apologised thinking that I will prohibit him in coming here and giving out the letters. But it was far from it, actually.

"Erin, I know you're still mad at me for what I did to you and I know you told me to stay away from you but I cou--"

I chuckled and he stopped talking, he looked at me confused.

"You sure blabber. Anyway, if you're not in a hurry, join me in grocery shopping." I smiled and walked towards my car that was pulled up by the valet staff.

Thankfully, he composed himself immediately and ran towards the passenger seat of my car.

He accompanied me the whole day and was such a gentleman. He never advanced towards me and maintained a safe distance just like what he promised in one of his letters. I guess he really took his words seriously.

We had lunch in my apartment, I cooked lasagna while he prepared the table. I tell you, this lad was useless in the kitchen and it was so funny, in a nice way, because he tried so hard to impress me. So, to avoid burning my kitchen down, I ordered him to sit and just watch, which he immediately abide.

While having lunch with Alex, I didn't feel any awkwardness between us. I feel like I was having a catch up lunch with a long time friend. That's how I felt, I didn't know why. I guess it's because of his letters?

After a minute of silence, he spoke breaking the quietness enveloping us.

"Uhmm, Erin." He called me and I looked up at him. He looked nervous, what the eff and it's quite funny so, I smiled at him.

"I know you may be annoyed to my apologies but I really am sorry for kissing you without your consent. I know also that no amount of explanation would justify my act but I am willing to do anything and everything you want me to do except staying away from you." I leaned back on my chair and crossed my arms on my chest.