Chapter 1

Erin McAfee

I was busy typing something in my computer when my office phone went off. I looked at the caller ID and saw the familiar phone number and I smiled.

“Hello, Olivia.” I answered cheerfully.

Olivia North is one of my best friends, she’s the infamous North heiress that the media likes to published fake news about, such as being a bitch and rude which is far from it.

“Erin!” she sang cheerfully, good thing my office door was closed or else the whole staff in this floor would hear her from my speaker.

“Geez, Livy, what made you so excited? 10 minutes ago you were complaining about the work your brother gave to you.” I said remembering our conversation a while ago. Apparently, she cannot accompany me to my family’s annual charity ball tonight.

“Yup and I still am. However, I already have a solution to your problem tonight.” She informed me happily, and I furrowed my brows. I don’t think I’ll like what she’s about to say.

“I told you I’m fine by my---”

“Zachary agreed to be your date tonight!” she cut me off by telling me that her brother was going to be my date tonight. Oh. My. God. Why? Why did he agree and why did Olivia thought of asking his brother to be my date?

“Olivia… I told you I’m fine. There’s no need for Zac to be my date, I can survive the charity ball without a date, you know. And besides, your brother is busy, so please tell Zac that it’s okay for him to not be my date.” I explained to her so that she will take back her “initiative”.

“He said that he’s free tonight, E. And this is the least me and Jowee can do for ditching you tonight. So, be ready at 7pm, Zac will fetch you to your apartment, okay. Love you!” She said and quickly hung up. Ugh, shit! I cursed lightly.

Jowee! This is all your fault. If you hadn’t oversighted your calendar, I wouldn’t be in this situation! Argghh.

By the way, Jowee Bradley is my other best friend aside from Olivia North and she is a woman. Originally, she will be my so-called date tonight, but she cancelled this morning because apparently, she had to fly to Spain tonight for her quarterly ocular inspection to their grape farm.

I looked at my phone and groaned.

Why?! Why Zac of all people? Oh my God! I don’t think I can act properly tonight. Ugh, Olivia North! Why do you have to ask your brother?

I covered my face with my palms and groaned. Why am I acting like this, you ask?

It’s because Zachary North is my long-time childhood crush.

It started when I was in sophomore in high school.

Olivia and I were partnered together in literature, so she invited me to their manor every after school to do our assignments. When I was looking at the portraits hung in their study room, that’s when I first saw Zac.

It was a candid photo of him in New York City wherein he’s sitting on a bench while his trench coat was resting onto it. What captivates me was his blue eyes that can make anyone hypnotize, his stylish messy brunette hair that was blown by the wind in the picture made him look so carefree.

Just by that photo of him, it made my stomach churn in a very odd way. He was so handsome in that photo compared to the high school jocks in our school. Who is this handsome guy?

Then I shifted to other pictures and saw him and Olivia were sitting beside each other while his arm rests around her and they both were smiling happily towards the camera. That’s when it sunk to me, this man is her brother. They have the same features, brunette, big blue eyes that captivates you, and the same full lips.