Chapter 9

Zachary North

"Meeting adjourned. Let's all have lunch." I dismissed the procurement group and nodded to Jane, my secretary, to stay here in the conference room.

After the group left, I faced her to remind her and spoke.

"Make sure that all of their reports pertaining to this project will tally to the quoted file that the finance had sent me. If not, look into both of them and make a report as what the discrepancies are." I stood up and buttoned my blazer.

"Understood, Sir. Anything else?" She asked.

I shook my head and took my phone before dismissing her to have lunch.

I took a sigh of relief when I entered my office. I called my dad to consult with him about the expansion project that I've been planning since I assumed the Chairmanship position. Even though he's already retired, I still ask for his advice. He's the original brain of this company and I don't intend to replace him.

We conversed for like thirty minutes regarding the project I named as Tanzania Project.

"Zachary, my son. It's lunch time, why don't you take a break and have lunch." He asked but I just chuckled.

"Dad, I can't afford to have lunch, I have a company to run. Also, I had eaten a sandwich awhile ago in the meeting." I told him and took one of the files that's littered atop my table.

"Even when I was the chairman, I took breaks, especially lunch. Your mom used to call me to remind me to eat. Even after she passed away, her words and reminders always made me stop whatever I was doing and heed on to her." He chuckled sadly.

That was true though, mom always remind us to not let work eat us alive. That we have to enjoy life outside work.

"That's because you have her, Dad." I blurted out unconsciously.

I face palmed myself when I realized what I have said. Fucking shit! He won't leave me alone after this.

"Well son, you have to man up and start asking her out."

I furrowed my brows when he said that.

"What are you talking about?" I stilled and straightened my form when he said that.

"You know what it is, Zachary." He said and I sighed.

"Dad, I don't know." I feigned ignorance and tried to divert my attention to the file on my table.

He laughed.

"Okay. Anyway, if you're afraid to eat by yourself, why don't you ask your sister to have lunch with you." He suggested.

"Yeah, I'll ask her. And dad, I'm not afraid to eat all alone. I'm busy, that's why." I countered.

"Yeah yeah." He chuckled and continued, "I'll disconnect now, I have to get ready for golf now."

"Alright. Say hello to your golf buddies for me, Dad. And don't tire yourself." I reminded him and gave a faint yes then disconnected.

As I was going to review the file, my stomach grumbled telling me that I have to eat.

I stood up and took my wallet and phone and headed to my sister's floor to ask her to have lunch with me.

As I opened the door of her office, I immediately saw her straddling Niccolo on her couch while making out.

Then she spoke amidst their make out session.

"Of course I did, it's been a hell of a week. I've been busy these past few days because my asshole of a brother gave me tons of work."