It Never Ends Well (Part 2)

Shinso POV

I had been in Seattle for three weeks. I heard news when I was down in Denver about Hotaru and her little girl group were awarded some prize for genetics by some American Quirk Association, so of course that meant that I needed to temporarily relocate. It had been about six months since the last time I darkened her doorstep. I knew how hard she had been working for this, so I wanted to keep my space, but nothing wrong with cheering her on from afar. She looked stunning, resting bitch face and all. Her lilac hair was cut into an angled bob, fresh undercut teasing behind her right ear, her cat-eye frames somehow adding to the fierce sparkle of her honey colored orbs. Her black dress was sheer with lace, yet still elegant for such an event hugging in all the right places. The girl was blessed with an hourglass curve. She could fill out a paper bag. Dainty rings adorned her cartilage throughout her ears, a small black ring hugged her septum. She looked like she belonged in an alternative model magazine, not at some science symposium.

I had taken on the liberty of volunteering security for the event with several other well known American heroes. I wasn't going to distract you from your night, but I wanted to be sure you were safe. It was your first time Stateside, anything could happen. Crime was rampant here, hell that was the entire reason I left Japan; the ratio of Villain to Heroes was far greater in the States, which meant I had a greater shot at doing the most, and making a bigger impact.

As the event simmered to a close, I went to patrol the strip. I knew you, the first opportunity you had to get your hands on a drink you'd take it. I wanted to get a headstart making sure that nothing would interrupt your bar hop.

A few hours passed with nothing. Not even so much as a drunken frat boy testing his luck. I was on high alert for nothing. I checked the time...01:40. You should be headed to your hotel now. 

I shook my head, this was a tad stalkerish, wasn't it? I could only imagine how pissed you'd be if you found out I was trailing you like this not even having the audacity to say "Hello, Kitten". I chuckled, letting out an airy sigh as I pictured the exact face you'd make. Your eyes would narrow, your nose would scrunch as you bit the side of your cheek. Fuck, you were so adorable.

Then I heard it. A gut wrenching scream. The sound of concrete ripping through the air.

What the hell was that? I saw dust and smoke in the distance. About 9 blocks away, in the direction of your hotel.

"Oh fuck no..." I bolted towards the debris, hustling, pushing myself to move as fast as my body would allow, then trying to push harder. My chest heaving, air frantically leaving my lungs as fast as I was bringing it in, adrenaline pumping through my veins. It felt like hours had passed before I got there. Before I saw the very scene I had been hoping to avoid all night.

You were on your knees, covered in ash, blood, and dust; dress dirty and singed, blood coating your porcelain hands and arms, tears streaming down your face, blood trickling from your nose. You were clinging onto your brunette friend, Lydia, her hair matted with clotted blood, the back of her dress shredded by several knives that still littered her skin. I quickly searched around and saw no one in the settling debris. I needed to get you out of there. I slammed the device on my wrist to alert law enforcement of an event, and to send the location as I sprinted to you one last time.

"Kitten!" I whispered harshly, your head snapped up, eyes cloudy, red light phasing in and out, I reached out to you.

"Toshi" you croaked out, looking at me confused, panicked, paranoid. You were in shock, you had used your quirk, and from the state of the alley and your body, you had overdone it, which meant one thing: you were unstable.

"Kitten," I hummed softly, reaching slowly towards her, holding her gaze in my eyes, willing her to stay calm. "Kitten, I need you to do me a favor. I need you to answer me, okay?" I spoke in a whisper, holding my breath for what was to come next. Either she would slip up, answer me, and I would be able to use my quirk and de-escalate the situation, or there was about to be a whole lot more collateral damage.

Thankfully, it was the former. "Oka-" she mewled out, it was all I needed. Her eyes went blank, dull. Her arms released from Lydia's body, and she sat there, waiting for me. I scooped her up, like a child.

"Kitten, hold on to me tightly," I commanded, her arms snaking around my neck, grasping tightly to me, burying her face into my neck, legs wrapping around my waist snugly. "I don't know what happened, but I'm going to keep you safe. I promise." I whispered into her hair as I took off toward the approaching sirens, ready to dive headfirst into whatever chaos was chasing you this time. You never could catch a break; you were a danger magnet, the north pole where everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. This was no exception. All I could do was hope that it wasn't as bad as I thought.