Tear in my heart

16 years ago

Bakugou's POV

"Happy Birthday to you!"

"Happy Birthday, Dear Taru!"

"Happy Birthday to Youuuuuu!"

I watched with butterflies in my stomach as Firefly's grin was ear to ear, her eyes gleaming with awe and excitement as Mom placed the cake down in front of her. The Sir Nighteye themed cake looked massive next to her, her tiny hands bunched into fists, gripping onto the orange bunny I had given her earlier to stop her nervous shaking. She hated being the center of attention, she liked just blending in and not being noticed, pretty sure that was because of how mean her old Hag was. But it was her birthday, she deserved to be the center of attention, she deserved to feel like a princess. I wanted her to have a good day. No, a great day!

She giggled, making my stomach feel tight. I loved her stupid laugh, the stupid way her eyes squeezed shut when she gave a genuine smile instead of the fake one she wore most of the time. Her parents had been getting worse, I saw more bruises on her as the weeks flew by, now they weren't even trying to hide them anymore. At least before I had only seen them when she stayed the night and wore her pajamas. Now? My eyes narrowed into a glare and I felt my hands start to sweat as I stared at the fading yellow-green splotch on her pretty face.

Firefly. How can I help you?

"Suki! Help me cut the cake!" You sang out to me, hopping up out of your chair, biting your lower lip with a sparkle of glee and it took my breath away. I'd do anything for you, Taru.

"Yeah, yeah. I know, you're hopeless, Firefly." I rolled my eyes in fake annoyance when she giggled again as I walked towards her. I had to keep up my tough act, Mom had invited all the extras who followed me around at school for Firefly's party. They couldn't see me act too soft with her. I'd make it up to her later, I'll let her pick what movie we watch before bed. I take the knife from Mom, turning to smirk at Firefly as she was nearly bouncing out of her skin.

Such a damn dork.

But she's my dork.

I swallowed thickly, distracted as I began cutting the cake for her. I had been working up the nerve to talk to Mom and Dad and telling them everything I had noticed going on with her, how it was getting worse. I wanted them to call the cops, that's what they told us in school. I wanted them to take her away from them, so she could just live with us. She basically already did, nothing would change except it would be every day instead of school nights.

I frowned at the thought; it was Thursday. That meant tomorrow night she'd have to go back home. I wouldn't see or hear from her for two days until Mom would pick her up to take us both to school. I didn't want her to go, I didn't want to see that blank, dead look in her eyes she always had walking out of her house. She was my sunshine, my glowing star, my Firefly. She needed to be bright and cheery and happy. Not sad. I needed to do it. It was now or never. I was scared that one day she'd leave and never come back. What if they hurt her too badly?

"Suki?" My head snapped up and I saw her looking at me with worry. "Suki, are you okay? You look sad? Do you want the first piece? OH, I know, we can share presents! Lemme go get-" I reached out and grabbed her wrist before she finished spinning around. She met my gaze as she tilted her head with a confused expression.