Anxiety

Present: Thursday, 18:04, One hour from Narita International Airport

The continuous rumble of the jet engines seemed to get louder as the flight lulled on. Your body ached; head pounding, chest tight, breathing was slowly starting to become harsh. I fucking hate planes. Fucking nine hours in and I still can't get used to this. Slowly rolling your head to the side, you gazed out the small window, taking in the cotton candy like clouds that lazily hung in the bright blue sky. Groaning, you gently rub your temples trying to alleviate a little of the pent up stress and tension. Eyes sore, tired, dry from the countless tears that you could no longer produce. The body can't run out of tears, right?

You hear a pill bottle rattle beside you; your ears perk up, and slowly slide your eyes to the right.

"You know, it's almost ironic how much you hate flying," a raspy, sleep deprived voice grunts while holding out the pill bottle, chuckling as you scoff while aggressively yanking it from the large, callous hand beside you.

"You know, it's ironic how your smart ass commentary isn't even slightly funny," you bite back, swiveling your head completely to the right, throwing a glare at the indigo haired man beside you. Opening the bottle, you shake out two, small, white pills, throwing them back with a swallow then letting out a shaky sigh.

The raspy chuckle ends with a lighthearted sigh, the rough hand resting on your forearm rubbing a small, delicate circle on your wrist, calming you enough to let your head fall back onto the seat, focusing on the rate of respiration, slowly easing the tension throughout your body.

"We will be landing in Tokyo at the top of the hour, so just try not to focus too much on the plane. I know it's been a pretty chaotic last few days, but before you know it you'll have a new babysitter and some much needed rest."

"Toshi, you're not my babysitter. I don't need a babysitter," you groan reluctantly as you slowly open your eyes, and meet the gorgeous purple orbs, framed by what looked like years of sleep deprivation, observing you. Hitoshi Shinso; you had met him five years ago at an Expo on I-Island. A man with captivatingly dry humor, and an even more enigmatic quirk, he had managed to gain your attention unlike any other. The on-again-off-again flings were enough to keep both of your heads spinning. Nothing more than casual, him running off to play hero in America for a time before sauntering back into the lab to see Lydia under the mischievous white lie of needing an upgrade here or there only to later find him in your doorway with a crooked smile and bouquet of apology daisies. You didn't mind, you were far too busy with research to meddle with romance. Shinso was much too nomadic for your tastes. He preferred to drop everything, spur of the moment, and travel to where the people needed him. He was the true meaning of a freelance hero.

Shinso hummed at your whine, a smirk flirting with his tired face and threatening to crinkle around his heavily lined eyes. "Hotaru..." Shinso, lifted his free hand and cupped your cheek delicately, "I've never met anyone who has been in more desperate need of a babysitter than you, Kitten," a devious smirk widened across his face, while a scowl contorted yours.

"Piss off, troll doll," you hissed, smacking his hand from your face as he howled with laughter. Turning your body dramatically away from Shinso, you looked back out the window, the once bright blue sky was slowly being painted with faint pinks and oranges as you began your descent towards the bustling lights of Tokyo.

Sighing heavily, your thoughts wandered on how the events of the last 48 hours had led you to coming back home for the first time in over a decade.

Was it even still home? Can I still call it that?

It wasn't so long ago you were on stage in Seattle, Washington, United States, accepting applause at a symposium for your latest research. It wasn't so long ago that you roamed the ever lively strip district with Lydia and Melissa, bar hopping before returning to I-Island. It wasn't so long ago you were holding onto Lydia's lifeless body, screaming for help as you both were becoming engulfed with smoke and ash, until a familiar mop of indigo hair swept you up to safety. The ringing in your ears was becoming deafening again, but somehow managed to enhance the whirl of the jet's engines. A rattling breath left your chest, and before you even knew what was happening, Shinso's arms engulfed you, just as your memory was overtaking you.