Aftermath

Bakugou's POV

I don't think I will ever get used to hospitals; the smell of antiseptic, the white walls, white floors, white ceilings, white linens reflecting the harsh artificial lighting. My muscles were sore, my back tight, arms strained, my head pounding repeatedly against my skull at the smallest movement. The chair I sat on was far too small for me, my neck stiff as I sat with my arms crossed over my chest beside your bed. I had watched you for three days, just as you sat there, staring off into nothing. Silent. The first day, within hours the police had come to question you, wanting to take you into custody. You spoke your part, you told them everything you absolutely could about your Uncle, about Dabi, where you had last known of hideouts to be. Icy-Hot and myself were able to provide the eyewitness testimony of Dabi admitting to kidnapping you, torture, the murder spree which eventually lead to you being let off the hook. As I sat here watching you in silence I knew it was far from over. You were grieving the only way you knew how.

You were blaming yourself.

The police had told us that three bodies were found at the warehouse, one was still able to be identified by visuals, while the other relied on dental records due to how badly they had been burned. Kenji Satsui's jaw bone was found in a pile of ash the following day during the cleanup, while another body discovered had yet to have a positive ID.

I knew exactly where your mind was wandering, though. I knew who you were convinced those remains belonged to and there wasn't a single thing I could do to help you. Instead, I sat in silence, watching you grieving over another man's death offering only my presence whenever you were ready to take it.

"The remains of Enji Todoroki, the retired Flame Hero Endeavor, were laid to rest today by his children, of which include our nation's Number Three Hero: Shoto. Todoroki, who passed following a series of unforeseen events earlier this week, is set to have a monument constructed in Hosu as commemoration of his vigilance and perseverance as one of Japan's most powerful heroes. Our thoughts are with Shoto and his family at this time."

"Turn it off." Your voice croaked out in a raspy, cold tone, pulling my attention from the television.

"Firefly?"

"Katsuki, please. Turn it off. Now." You swallowed thickly, sniffling as I reached for the remote, the screen turning black as the room was engulfed in silence once more. Your small gasps as you tried to hold back tears were ripping me apart as I watched your body shudder beneath the stiff white hospital gown. I couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't just sit here and do nothing. I lifted myself from the chair, crawling beside you in bed and wrapped my arms around you, squeezing you against my chest.

"Katsuki. Stop. Let me go." Your small fists weakly pushed on my chest, trying to pry my grip from you as your sobs became stronger. "Please. Katsuki, please."

"It's not your fault." I muttered into your hair, holding you close as you struggled, curses warbled from your lips with each choked cry while I rocked you.

"It's not your fault, Firefly. It's not your fault."

"You don't understand! It is! All of this, it's my fault. I couldn't do it. I couldn't save him. I couldn't save Touya." You cried into my shoulder, strained breaths with each muffled cry of his name.

"Touya's dead, Katsuki. He's dead."

Minutes turned to moments.

Moments turned to hours.

Before I knew it, the sun was setting behind the horizon as the nurse came in to check you periodically while you slept in my arms. Exhaustion had finally won, finally pulling your body into a much needed rest. You were an absolute wreck; dehydrated, your electrolytes were all out of whack, you had a cocktail of meds in your system, and your body was riddled with burns and scars that hadn't been there before, including one particular burn on your thigh that had sent me into a rage your first night in the hospital. The doctor had suggested laser therapy for the removal of that bastard's name from your skin, but all you did was nod solemnly, making no affirmation of what you wanted to do.