Chapter 10

I took a deep breath before pressing the call button on my screen. I had made sure that my number was private before doing anything else. The phone rang three times before someone answered.

"Hello? Who's this?" The familiar voice asked, making my stomach twist.

"Hey, Gumdrop." I whispered, but I knew that she heard me.

"Cupcake?! Is that really you?" Cyn asked frantically. It sounded like she was seconds away from crying.

"Yeah, it's me." I said shakily.

"I'm going to kill you! How dare you leave without telling anyone? We were so worried about you. And then you send me some charm bracelet, which is beautiful by the way, like I'm just going to forgive your ass." She cried into the phone and I chuckled. I was kind of expecting this.

"I'm sorry, Gumdrop. I just needed to get away." I sighed. "How is everything there?" Cyn paused before she answered. That can't be good.

"Well, your mom knows everything..."

"She was bound to find out soon, I guess. How'd she take it?" I replied after a short pause. Cyn sighed.

"She disowned Terrance and left the pack. The Alpha also found out and refused to give Matthew and Terrance their titles. Pack members who didn't know about your abuse also left the pack. But my favorite part has to be the fact that Terrance's mate rejected him."

My heart broke at the news. I didn't mean for any of this to happen. Maybe I should've stayed and everything could've gone back to normal.

"How are they? Terrance and Matthew I mean."

"I haven't seen them since Terrance's mate rejected him. Can you believe his mate is a guy? Your ex-pack members look like shit because Alpha Matthew has them going through serious punishments for hurting you. So I'm guessing Matthew and Terrance look ten times worse because they were the ringleaders and they both lost their mates."

I whined at the fact that my mate was hurting. I shouldn't even care, but I did. Even if he did reject me, he was still part of our whole. The thought made me sigh. Cyn and I discussed happier topics from there on. I told her about the new school and new pack. I didn't tell her where I was or about my second mate. I wasn't ready to tell anyone yet.

"Well, Gumdrop, I'm going to call Mommy now. I promise I'll call again tomorrow." I told her in what I hoped to be a cheerful tone. I didn't plan on texting her because then she'd know the area code and would figure out where I was.

"I'll hold you to that, Cupcake. I miss you." She replied sadly.

"I miss you too. But don't worry, we'll see each other soon." I lied smoothly.

Cyn gave a sound of agreement before we both said goodbye and hung up the phone. I took some time to coach myself on talking to Mommy. I didn't know why I was so nervous. I doubted that she'd think less of me for running away, but there was still a little bit of belief at the back of my mind. After coaching myself and telling myself that I was ready, I picked up the phone again and dialed the number I knew by heart.

"Hello?" A depressed voice answered after the fifth ring. I paused in replying. She sounded so broken, and it was all my fault.

"Hello? Is anyone there?" Came my mother's voice again. I decided, then, to stop being a coward.

"H-hi Mommy." I stuttered into the phone. I heard my mother's breathing pause. It almost sounded like she wasn't breathing at all.

"C-cupcake? I-is that r-really you?" She whispered, almost disbelievingly.