Chapter 23

Matthew's POV:

"I would've preferred if you had stayed in the safe room." Said Michael as we ran from said safe room to the backyard. I scoffed at my mate.

"Being your mate doesn't change the fact that I'm still an Alpha." I replied and he sighed, knowing that I was right. It didn't take long for us to reach outside and realize that there wasn't even a fight going on. The rogues stood at one side of the yard as Michael's pack stood on the other. I glanced at Michael questioningly and he shrugged, probably understanding my confusion. What the fuck was going on?

Michael walked to the front of his members as I silently followed behind him. Once we were at the front, we noticed that there was only one person on the rogues' side who was in human form. Michael growled threateningly at the sight of the person, causing me to believe that he knew exactly who it was.

"What are you doing here?" He asked the mystery man in a cold tone. The man wasn't bad looking. If you subtracted all the dirt and filth on him, most likely from being a rogue, he'd actually turn out to be a handsome guy with a slim build and long hair. I couldn't really describe what he looked like since he was standing at a distance.

The man laughed, darkly. It caused a shiver to run down my spine and Michael unknowingly stepped closer to me.

"It's been a long time. Hasn't it, Mickey?" The guy finally answered. Demarco wanted to let out a growl to warn this man not to get all buddy buddy with our mate, but I kept it in.

"Don't you dare call me that, DiNozzo. Now I'm going to ask you again, what the fuck are you doing here?"

The man, or DiNozzo, didn't get the chance to answer before Jelani rushed to the front. He was the pack's Beta, and Michael's best friend. Jelani was a dark chocolate man with long, curly, and untamed hair. He was a sight for sore eyes. Goddess, I really was gay.

Jelani stood at Michael's left side and DiNozzo switched his gaze onto him. A devious smile took over his face due to Jelani's arrival.

"Brownie!" DiNozzo exclaimed sarcastically. "Great! The three musketeers are together once again."

Jelani gave a low growl, almost as powerful as Michael's. "You're not welcomed here." He stated. However, instead of being calm and cold like Michael was, you could feel his anger and hatred for DiNozzo, and see him visibly shaking. I wondered what the mystery man did. How do they know him?

DiNozzo chuckled again. "Okay. Okay. Okay. I'll cut the bullshit." He stated, turning his gaze back to Michael. "I'm actually here because I heard you found your mate, Mickey. Word on the street is that he's a cute little thing with an ass to die for and I want him."

Toby.

Michael and I didn't even try to contain the murderous snarls that slipped past our lips. I guess DiNozzo was expecting that reaction from Michael, but not from me. He gave me a questioning look while I stared back at him with a threatening one.

He arched an eyebrow. "And who might you be?"

"Now, I don't think that's any of your concern, is it?" I answered back rudely. Michael stepped closer to me and discreetly started rubbing my back to keep me calm. It helped a little, but it still didn't satisfy my need to rip this DiNozzo guy into pieces.

A less than amused chuckle sounded in the yard. DiNozzo looked at me warningly. "Michael, are all your pack members so rude? If I had gotten my rightful place as Alpha, I would've taught this little bitch a lesson or two. He needs discipline." He stated to Michael, all the while keeping his eyes on me. Michael didn't respond, but I could hear the rumble in his chest and feel his anger and hatred for DiNozzo pouring off of him. Rightful place as Alpha? What was he talking about?