Chapter 46: Contractions and Cake

Paige's point of view:

This Wednesday marks Juliet's due date, and I think at this point we were both ready for this baby girl to come out. Jules was pretty big, and could barely fit through doorways walking forward, much to my amusement. The hospital bag was already packed and the both of us were on high alert. 

We were all currently the park, Matthew playing while Juliet and I entertained the twins. They were still at the babbling stage, and produced an insane amount of drool from their mouths. 

I sat against the big oak tree while Jamie was playing with my legs, and Juliet in the foldable chair with Ben on her lap. It was a beautiful day outside; blue sky with minimal clouds and the occasional breeze cooling our bodies down. 

"Momma, Momma" Mathew came running over, gaining my attention. When I asked what was wrong we pointed to a little boy, around the same age. Apparently nothing was wrong, he had just made a new friend, James. I told Matthew to bring James over so we could meet him, since he looked like a friendly boy; blonde with black cargo shorts on and a paw patrol shirt on. 

"baby, be nice" Juliet warned me, giving me her signature look. I playfully glared at her, looking back to see both boys running our way. 

Turns out James was a nice little boy, and I approved. He was from the next town over, but visiting his grandparents for a few days. He pointed to a man and a woman on a bench, both reading. I assumed that they were his parents. My favorite part was when he asked Juliet why she was so big; I'm not sure why I found it to be so funny but his delivery was hilarious and even Juliet was smirking. 

We spent another 30 minutes at the park before packing up. I carried Matthew since he had fallen asleep from all the action, while Julie got the twins. We were sure going to have our hands full when our baby girl came, but I still wanted more babies after this one. Of course it was easier said than done since I didn't have to carry them for 9 months. 

When we got home Matthew was still asleep so we decided to have a relaxing afternoon at the house. I was bored and Juliet was resting so I decided to make a cake in honor of baby number 4 coming. We only had a chocolate cake mix when I preferred red velvet, but I'd just add some chocolate chips and it'd still be delicious. 

I was about to put the cake in the oven when a Juliet sounding groan caught my attention. At first I thought she was having a dirty dream until she got louder. When I entered the master bedroom she was hunched over in the bed, holding her stomach and groaning. 

"It's time Paige, she's coming" she said in between moans. I immediately went into parental panic mode, grabbing the hospital bag while calling mom. I explained to her what was happening while dressing Juliet and then ran into the kitchen to take the cake out. Times like this made me so happy she lived close, since she was at the house in under 10 minutes, right before Juliet and I were about to leave.  

I drove us to the hospital in less than 15 minutes, Juliet groaning in the passenger seat. When we got there I took the bag and basically carried her inside, getting the attention of a nurse to grab a wheelchair. It wasn't long before she was admitted and then assigned to a room, right down the hall from when she had the twins. 

Apparently our regular doctor was helping someone else so we got Dr. Seymour, a middle aged woman with big blue eyes and a nice smile. What can I say I'm only human. I think Juliet noticed and squeezed my hand tighter than she already was, causing me to groan in pain this time. 

Juliet was 5 centimeters dilatated so Dr. S said she'd return in about half an hour. In the mean time I tried to soothe Juliet by telling her stories but she was in so much discomfort that I wouldn't be surprised if she heard next to anything. Every once in a while I had to remove my purple looking hand from her grasp, it was feeling tingly and not in a good way. 

The doctor came back a bit later, this time accompanied by two nurses, one male and one female. I wouldn't be surprised if they were interns or new. One of the nurses, the female one checked for dilation and announced that it was time to push. This time I didn't remove my hand from Juliet's deathly grasp as she was groaning and pushing out a baby. It didn't take much time before the precious cries of a newborn were heard across the room. Juliet leaned back against the pillow, looking exhausted, although I'd never tell her that. She was a warrior, my warrior. This time the doctor went to grab our baby girl, cleaning her up. When I looked down at Juliet, she was half asleep, but had her arms out in front of her ready to hold the newest addition to the Simms household. 

"here she is, a beautiful baby girl, 7 pounds 2 ounces" Dr. S announced, handing her off to Jules. Just from a quick glance I could tell that she had the same dimple I had on my right cheek, and the same color hair as Jules. It was such a beautiful moment, even when baby girl started to cry her adorable newborn cry. 

"Do you have a name" Doctor S asked. I looked over at Juliet and we made eye contact. I looked back at the doctor, who was smiling and looking at the baby. 

"Jordan Erica Simms" right as I announced her name she made this sound between a burp and a cry, but nonetheless adorable. I giggled and heard Juliet do the same, both of us looking down at Jordan. 

Juliet fell asleep shortly after meeting Jordan, so I made sure they were both settled in before calling mom, letting her know the good news. The hospital was closer to their house than ours, but they would need to bring Jamie, Ben, and Matthew with them. I had started drifting off as well, until the door opened and I sprung into protective parent mode. 

"it's just us Paige" mom laughed softly, holding the cake I shad started earlier. She seemed to get the look on my face, and explained how she couldn't just leave it not attended to. Dad, Lucas, and Sam came in shortly afterwards, Matthew in dads arms and the boys each holding a twin. As soon as mom saw Jordan, she put the cake down at the nearest spot and practically ran over the carrier. From all the commotion Juliet woke up, smiling her tired smile and helping Matthew get on the bed to snuggle. 

"Family, this is Jordan Erica Simms, healthy as could be" Mom clapped her hands and motioned to hold the sleeping beauty. Mom had always been baby crazy, and I was happy to deliver with that :)

A little while later we dug into the cake, those of age of course. Erin had come over shortly before and we were all hanging out and talking, basking in the joy of little Jordan. Speaking of which, she had my eyes, and they look adorable mixed with Juliet's hair and nose. I know I said this about all the kids, but damn Juliet and I make some pretty darn cute babies.

At the end of the day, everyone had left and it was just Juliet and I cuddled up with Jordan in the hospital bed. There was nowhere else I'd rather be, with my girls. 

Thank you for reading this chapter, and I'm sorry for the long wait. I'll probably do one more chapter and than do the epilogue, since I'm running out of things to write about. I'm also already thinking of ideas for my next story, teacher student lesbian. Thanks again!

- Jane