Chapter 26: Aftermath and Mandrakes

Rose blinked sleepily from her bed, she slowly sat up. Madam Pomfry instantly ran towards her, peppering her with questions, "Are you feeling okay? Does your head hurt?" Rose felt as if she was near her mom, after she was held tightly Rose moved her head towards where she remembered last night was a body. She didn't see anything but the curtains around the bed. Maybe I dreamed it, Rose thought, but it changed the moment Madam Pomfry spoke. 

"You must have been shocked, dear. After seeing that poor boy." Rose turned towards her, "It wasn't a nightmare? Colin's really…" Madam Pomfry tutted over her, trying to calm her down. Rose's hands started to shake as she looked back to the curtained bed realizing Colin was there after all. She started to try and get out of bed, causing Madam Pomfry to stop her, "You need rest dear." Rose shook her head, "I need to go to the greenhouse, I have to take care of the mandrakes-" Madam Pomfry cooed over her as she sighed sitting down in front of her, "You are truly a friend to all Rose, but you need to understand. You have to take care of yourself." Rose shook her head as she tried to get up again, "It's fine-I'm fine. Just let me get out of here." Madam Pomfry sighed softly looking at her with sad eyes, "Rose- '' Rose stood up quickly ignoring her swaying, "No! I'm fine, I really am." Madam Pomfry sighed before letting her stand, "If you need me at all- I mean it, even the slightest hesitation- Come here." Rose nodded before she rushed to get dressed, "Thank you. I promise." Rose smiled as she rushed out of the hospital wing, going straight towards her friends in the common room. In seconds she was tackled to the ground, "ROSE!" Air flew out of her lungs as Alice stared at her, "You had us worried sick!! Where were you?!" Rose groaned as she slowly sat up, "I told you, I was working the Hospital wing." Cedric helped her up easily, "How is Harry's arm?" Rose realized Harry left before she did, "It's better, Madam Pomfry really knows her stuff." Alice sat with her happily discussing the latest information she missed over the night, how Draco was yelled at, the twins set off fireworks, and the apparent party Griphendor threw. "Though I didn't go, Cedric wouldn't let me." Cedric suddenly acted as if he was his mom, "Well you can't go yet. Your only in your second year. Maybe next year you can go." Alice began to argue, causing Rose to sit amused watching them, "You're not my mum! You can't tell me what to do! Besides, you went to the party!" Cedric raised his head laughing as he teased, "Well I'm a fourth year. I can go." Alice snarled towards him, falling for his teasing, "Unfair! I could totally go to that party and be fine!" Rose laughed loudly as the fire crackled near them, "Alright, alright. That's enough you guys. I have something to tell you." 

"What's up Rose?" Alice noticed the atmosphere change as Rose sighed, "Colin… Colin was petrified last night. Just like Mrs. Norris." Rose swallowed wondering if she should say how she found him, and left him causing him to be attacked. Alice however was pointing out something else, "Could this be a path? I mean, Mrs. Norris was really close to you. And of course your close to Colin, maybe the real target is you?" Rose shook her head before she started her theory, "I doubt the 'Heir' is after me. They are trying to purge the school, that's why Mrs. Norris and Colin were attacked. Colin is a muggleborn like me, and Mrs. Norris is related to Filch, who is a Squib." Cedric looked astounded, "How did you know that?" Rose sighed as she pulled a piece of parchment out of her pocket, "He had a kwikspell course in his office. He wrote to me last summer, explaining the odd tips they told him." Alice shivered making a gagging noise, "Filch wrote to you? Gross!" Cedric sat down as he began to think, "So if this 'heir' is after Muggleborns, then that means purebloods would be safe." Alice shot up nodding, "Which means Cedric and I would be alright, but would they go after half bloods?" Rose sighed, rubbing her head, "I think so. They have muggle heritage. They might not be as big of a target as someone like me, with no wizarding heritage." Alice sighed loudly, "Why is there always something here? Just one normal year." Cedric shook his head, "It was normal before you guys came." Rose sat in thought, the new argument between the two melding in the background. Rose was silent most of the day, Cedric had begun to crack down on his studies, while Alice was chatting away with Hannah Abbot. While Rose sat on the plush couch Justin sat down, "Hello Rose." Rose hummed a hello, Justin began to ask her a question, "Have you been alright. Um..  what I mean is…" He rubbed the back of his neck before clearing his throat, "I know about how the slytherins treated you… I wanted to check on you." Rose gave a small smile as she nodded her head gently, "I'm totally fine. Thank you Justin. What's up with you?" Justin laughed as he turned his head to him, "Would you uh… wanna go to the library? With me?" Rose turned towards him with a large smile, "Of course." Justin looked surprised, "Really?"