Chapter 38- You heard me right

Richard

I jolted awake, images of crashing waves and the distant sound of a muffled voice screaming for help played on my mind. Rileys voice. A nightmare. Random and fucking scary. I ran my hands through my hair as I blinked the sleep from my eyes and tried to gather my thoughts. It was just a nightmare, I thought to myself, repeating it like a matra to shake it off. I rolled over onto my side and found the space next to me empty. The blanket was pulled back and the sheets were crinkled. If that wasn't the case, I'd almost be convinced that I'd imagined everything that happened this afternoon with Riley. That it was just a dream because it sure as hell felt like it. I began to sit up, lazily throwing my legs over the edge of the bed. The light on my phone screen blinded me as I checked the time. It was just passed 2am and Riley wasnt in bed.

I vividly remembered us falling asleep. After eating to her hearts content, Riley yawned the biggest and cutest yawn I'd ever seen. It was a long day for both of us and so when she suggested we go to sleep just before 11pm, I didnt protest. I stumbled through the semi dark room, feeling my way to the door. Stepping out of the room, I scanned the kitchen for Riley half expecting her to be grabbing a midnight snack but she wasnt there.

"Riley?" I called out but she didnt answer. What if she left? I found myself thinking like the paranoid person I was. I couldn't help it. Everytime I realize that we're in a good place I have a gnawing feeling that shes gonna bail. That it'll get too much for her and she wouldn't want to do it anymore. With my past experience with relationships, could you blame me?

"Ri?" I tried again as I treaded up the stairs. The door to my study was closed. I usually kept it open out of habit. I opened it as quietly as possible and as I did, the soft sounds of piano keys filled the room. I peeped in and found Riley seated on the little stool in front of my Yamaha, her fingers tracing along the keys to a familiar tune. I watched silently and in awe of her. I had no idea she could play the piano. It was now yet another thing for me to love about her. Her hands danced over the keys so gracefully, so naturally that anyone seeing her would assume she'd been playing for years. The tune got softer and softer and I could tell she was coming to the end.

"That was amazing," I said. She turned around sharply with a hand against her chest, clearly startled.

"Shit. Did I wake you?" She asked with concern.

"No," I shook my head with a dry laugh realizing that my answer was only partly true.

"I saw the padding in the walls so I assumed the room was sound proof."

"It is." I walked closer to her and sat on the couch across from her. I'd finally thrown that 2 seater out, too many memories that I'd much rather forget was attached to that piece of furniture, and replaced it with a slightly bigger 3 seater couch that could double as a bed. "I didn't know you play."

She tucked a strand of hair that had fallen over her face and glanced back at the piano for a beat. The look in her eyes was different from what I was used to seeing. She was always so vibrant and cheerful, even when she was on the verge of internally combusting. But now, that usual sparkle in her eyes had died. She almost looked sad.

"I dont," she answered then paused. "Well, I haven't in a very long time."

"Why?" I realized that I might have came across as pushy but i waited for her reply crossing my fingers that she'd actually give me one.

"My dad taught me how to play," that sadness in her eyes grew stronger with every word she spoke. She'd hardly spoken to me about her family and I didnt bother to push her. I'd learnt that in time she'd open up on her own, like she did with the whole Emily thing and her parents death. I try not to pry so her talking about them now was a huge deal. "We used to have this huge piano in the living room growing up right about where Anna now has her ridiculous pot plant. Almost every night after dinner from the time I was around 6 or 7 my dad would sit us down on the bench and try and teach me a bunch of songs. It took a while before I finally learnt it, Anna never did but I'm sure you can tell why." She chuckled softly.