Chapter 8- Screw family

Riley

The rest of the day went by in a blur without any further disturbances from anyone. It allowed me time to work on my game plan for the case I was handed this morning. About an hour before the office cleared out I punched in Candice's extension.

"Hey, Ri. What's up?"

"Hey. I hope it's not too late but could you call that client and set up a meeting for tomorrow morning around 10. I'd like to have a word with them."

"Woah, are you sure?" She sounded surprised by my request.

"Yeah. I want to try and settle this quietly because it's honestly just unnecessary drama."

I heard her exhale sharply on the other side, as if relieved. "Awesome, I'll make the call."

"Thanks, Candice."

"Hey, I've been meaning to ask you. What do you think of the new boss?" She asked in hushed whispers.

Sexy!

I heard my subconscious yell and jump around like a kid on a trampoline. She had this habit of being extremely unhelpful and appearing at times when I needed her to hibernate. My biggest weakness honestly. No matter how strongly I wanted to feel or think a certain way, you'd get this bitch coming in and making me question my sanity.

Okay, but am I wrong though?

See what I mean. She wasn't and it sucked. As much as felt the need to deny his existence all together, I couldn't ever make that hard slab of muscle and incredible physique that was going to constantly be in my face disappear.

"I guess I'll decide how I feel when he's been here longer. Need to see how he works," I answered. Complete lies but it was an answer nonetheless.

"C'mon, Ri. You KNOW that wasn't what I meant. He's HOT and even you can't deny that. Gives me major dark and dangerous vibes, definitely gonna be a distraction."

Dangerous? More like a puppy. Low-key intimidating? Maybe. I rolled my eyes as she continued to drool over him. From his tattoos to those luscious pink lips.

"Let me know if you get a reply from the client. I'm gonna head out now," I told her once she finally shut up.

"Sure, I'll text you. Have a good afternoon."

I grabbed my purse and shoved the file I'd been working with the whole day into the top drawer of my desk before locking my office and heading out. Hoping I wouldn't run into any unwanted company, I swiftly made my way into the elevator and slammed on the button that closed the doors. The afternoon sun bathed the magnificent steel structure with soft hues of light that reflected off of the glass panels. There was a crisp breeze that stung my skin as I hopped into the nylon seats of my matte black beauty. The rather sinful vocals of Maluma vibrated through my car as I pulled out of my parking space and onto the busy road swarmed with flowing afternoon traffic.

The black Toyota corolla sedan that occupied one of the spaces in the 4 car garage as I pulled in told me that Anna was home. Huh? she's early. Through a single wooden door in the garage, I entered the back yard, where glass sliding doors serve as a back entrance to the house, straight into the living room. Cherry blossom trees stood tall surrounding the pool that functioned as the main attraction. The outdoor lounging area with a barbeque and bar came in handy for throwing parties, a specialty of Anna's and a trait passed down from our dad.

"Anna?" I yelled as I entered the lounge. The first thing I expected was to see her behind the island in the kitchen.

"In here!" she yelled back, her voice radiating from the direction of her bedroom.