Chapter 28: Heart to Heart

Taehyung moved one arm to wrap Jimin's shoulders and pulled away from the hug to lead him into his and his girlfriend's apartment.

"Come inside. Do you want some daechu-cha*?" Jimin simply nodded as he showed him the living room and left him wrapped in a blanket sitting on the couch.

Only a few minutes later, Tae was back with a tray with two cups of tea and a small plate with yugwa*². The older one picked one curiously.

"Did your girlfriend make these?"

"Yes, whenever she has time, she prefers to bake herself rather than buy stuff like that at the store" Tae shared smiling proudly and Jimin chuckled as he took a small bite of the snack and chewed slowly.

"What's wrong, Jimin-ah?" his best friend questioned now focusing on the matter at hand, eyebrows furrowed and lips pressed together. It was almost like he was hurting as much as him.

"I have to tell you something, I'm sorry I didn't tell you before. It's...complicated."

Taehyung nodded warily. He knew Jimin kept things to himself for as long as he could before bothering anyone with them. He was not a bother, but he insisted he could handle things and was pretty stubborn when it came to fixing them on his own.

"I've been seeing someone, I've known her for about five months,"

"Five months? How dare you?" Tae joked trying to lighten the mood, remembering how Jimin had been upset with him for not telling him about his girlfriend right away. Jimin just side-smiled and continued to talk.

"She's struggling and I've tried to be there for her" fresh tears started running down his stained cheeks and he took a deep breath, resting his forehead on his hands. Tae got up from the chair opposite of Jimin and sat next to him to rub his back.

"It's just so frustrating, so difficult. I couldn't begin to understand what I put you through, but now that it's the other way round for me..."

"Jiminie, what are you talking about?" Tae wasn't following as Jimin thought out loud.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to hurt any of you when I was struggling with my weight all those years ago. When I wasn't eating as much as I should have and passing out all the time."

"That was a long time ago, don't stress over it. You're doing better now, right?" Tae asked worriedly. Had Jimin been struggling and he didn't notice? He swallowed nervously as he waited for him to take a sip of his tea and answer.

"Yes, I'm trying. I'm doing my best. It's about her, she's been really sick and I thought she was starting to realize it was not good for her and she needed to do something about it. Then her mom visited and everything changed.

I was with her just now and I said the wrong things, I didn't mean to upset her. But I did and she yelled at me and said all these things she had never told me about. About how much she hated herself and how I thought the same or should feel the same way about her."

"So you had a fight? Just give her some time, talk to her when she's cooled down" Tae offered, not understanding the severity of the situation.

"It's not that easy. I really like her, I have since the very beginning. When I found out about her issues with food, I realized it would be selfish of me to just overlook it and continue to push for us to be together. So I figured we could be friends instead."

Tae simply nodded, encouraging him to go on as he munched on a rice cake and washed it down with some of the tea.

"I wasn't entirely sure she liked me in that way anyway, so I didn't think that would cause any problems. We never really went on more than a date and I'm not sure if that one even counted. She can be very confusing sometimes.