Sixteen.

My dress was on; my hair was curled to perfection and Lynda was applying the last bit of make up as I kept texting Greg. We were both freaking out; him because he was about to meet his soulmate; and me because I was going to receive a prize for my writing; which I didn’t think would ever happen.

“I’m so done with you guys!” Lynda complained as I started moving around in excitement. I was thankful for her presence; my hands had been shaking for the past three days and if it wasn’t for her doing my hair and makeup; I would have probably looked like a raccoon.

She was wearing a grey playsuit and black high heels that made her stand at least 3 inches above me. I, on the other hand, was wearing a navy blue dress that stopped at the middle of my thighs; I chose to wear flats as I knew my legs would be trembling and I wouldn’t be able to stand with any heels on.

“Should he wear a white or black shirt?” I asked Lynda as a new text appeared in the middle of my phone screen.

“Are you being serious right now? Who cares she’s going to love him anyway!” she answered and I rolled my eyes as I typed my answer.

White, you’ll look hotter xx

“Maybe it’ll be a boy, you know” I said as I looked at myself in the mirror and turned around to face her.

“I know; I think it’ll be cute either way; he’ll be a good boyfriend” she replied with a smile before handing me a tiny purse that could barely contain my phone.

I placed the strap over my shoulder and Lynda took my hand before leading me to the front door and taking my car keys.

“You ready?” she asked and I shook my head as panic started to flood my mind again. I had to make a speech in front of people I didn’t know and that was the one thing on earth I disliked the most. “Good!” she exclaimed; ignoring my answer as she dragged me out of my apartment and sat me in the passenger side of my own car. She’d wisely decided that it’d best if she was the one driving and I couldn’t fight her on that; I would have probably caused an accident if she’d put me behind the wheel.

We arrived in front of a small building and both got out of the car before making our way to the front door. I had a folder in my hand that contained my ID; my text; the mails they’d sent me and my speech. I wanted this to be perfect and I’d made sure there wasn’t going to be any unplanned disturbance.

“Ashton’s joining us here?” Lynda asked as I handed my card to what seemed to be a security guard. His eyes traveled from the picture to my face before settling on the card again; he gave me a quick nod and we both entered the building holding our heads up high.

“Yeah; I gave him the address last time I saw him… Which was like a week ago; he’s been so busy lately!” I replied before following the signs that read ‘Award Ceremony’.

We had four seats on the very front row; I was in-between Ashton and Lynda and Greg was right next to her. This was going to be perfect. My phone buzzed in my purse and I excitedly checked the text that Greg had just sent.

I’ll be here in a minute

Okay, we’re front row xx

I hadn’t heard about Ashton all day and decided to send him a message to know where he was and when he was going to be here.

Where are you, baby? I’m so nervous! Xx

I then put my phone back in my purse and started chatting with Lynda to try and calm myself down. Greg arrived ten minutes later; he was wearing a suit and I’d never seen him look that good in my whole life. He looked so clean; so mature and so hot at the same time I almost didn’t recognize him.