Forty nine.

"Well, it wasn't so bad..." Ashton said as he brushed his thumb over the corner of his mouth.

His upper lip was split open and blood was leaking out of it. His hair was covering his forehead and his shirt was falling of one of his shoulder as he stood in front of me.

"You're okay?" he asked as he frowned and placed his hands on my hips. I nodded and examined his face before getting on my tiptoes and pecking the corner of his mouth that wasn't injured. "Huh, huh," he protested as I pulled away and he placed one hand at the back of my neck before crashing his full lips on mine.

He kissed me with a fever that I had rarely seen in him, maybe it was the adrenaline of the fight... Or the fact that he was leaving soon...

"Ashton," I said, "Ashton, we're in the middle of the street," I pointed out and he groaned as he pulled away and looked at me with a smile. "You told me you wouldn't fight with him," I reminded him, even though I couldn't really pretend to be mad at him.

"He punched me first," he answered with a shrug, "Come on, it was nothing," he lightly added as he pinched my nose.

I shook my head with a smile and wrapped my arm around his waist before pressing my cheek against his covered chest. We had just confronted Greg about everything that he had said and everything that had happened. I had just told him that I had decided not to drop the charges against him, and he hadn't taken the news very well, as Ashton had expected.

"I don't know what he would have done if you hadn't been here," I murmured as he rubbed my back and started walking the both of us to my car.

"Katy Barnes finally admitting that I can be right about something and that she may even need me from time to time? Wow, thank you, that's too much!" he joked and I punched his arms as a huge grin made its way on my face.

"Yeah, well you're never hearing that again!" I replied as he kissed my temple and opened the driver door for me.

We went back to his apartment and went straight to his bedroom. We both knew that he had to pack and I wanted to be a part of it; I wanted us to laugh and talk as he'd pick up his sweaters and throw them in a suitcase. I wanted us to make memories because I wanted him to be constantly reminded of me while he was away.

We both tried to not think about how sad the situation actually was; making sure to make the other laugh each time we saw him getting a bit emotional.

"I have to go see Luke real quick this afternoon," Ashton announced and I could tell he was almost apologizing for it.

"About his soulmate?" I asked.

"Yeah... It will probably only be like five minutes but I don't really feel like doing it over the phone, considering how it went yesterday," he told me.

"It's fine, I'm meeting with my dad for lunch anyway," I replied and I knots appeared in my stomach just from thinking about it. "I think I'm going to tell him," I added, looking at Ashton.

He stopped folding one of his shirts to look up at me, his eyes wider than usua as he scanned my face.

"You want me to be here?" he asked but I shook my head.

"No, I think it's better if it's just me and him," I replied as I bit down on my bottom lip.

Ashton placed his shirt in his suitcase and walked around the bed to me; he wrapped his arms around my shoulders and pulled me to him, placing his chin on the top of my head as I pressed my face against his neck.

"You're gonna be okay, it's going to be okay," he reassured as he ran his hands up and down my arms.

Ashton's POV :