Nineteen.

I decided two things the following week. The first one was that I wanted Ashton to meet my family; my mom was throwing what she liked to call a 'barbecue party' and I thought it was the perfect occasion to bring a new member to the family.

I also decided that Greg and I needed to have a discussion. I didn't know why but I felt like I owed him an explanation. He was my best friend, after all; he deserved to know exactly how I felt, and I had to be honest with him even though I knew it would hurt him.

I sent him a text and asked him to meet me at the milkshake bar, near my apartment. I was nervous and I hated it; it had never been that way and I didn't want things to become awkward between us. I could only hope that our friendship was stronger than what we were going through.

I arrived early and ordered my favorite drink before seating at a small table and nervously waiting for him to come in. He did, eventually and my heart started pounding in my chest as he looked around the place and met my eyes.  

"Hey" he greeted as I got up and gave him a quick hug; it wasn't the kind of hugs we usually shared but it was better than nothing.

"Hey, how are you?" I asked as he sat in front of me and placed his hands on the table.

"Well I don't really know, honestly... That came in as a shock for the both of us, you know?" he explained and I nodded as I placed my hands around my milkshake and took a deep breath.

"I know... About that, huh... Okay I really don't know if there's a good way to say it so I'm just... Well, I'll just say it." I started before closing my eyes for a second and looking at him again; he was waiting for me to speak. "I don't feel about you the way I feel about Ashton. I'm really sorry and trust me when I say there's a huge part of me that wishes I could change the way I feel." I said and he leaned against his chair and rubbed his hands on his thighs as he looked down.

"Okay; I just don't really understand... Because if you don't believe in soul mates then why would you want to be with him and not me?" he asked and it felt like he was accusing me of something.

"I can't really explain it; it's strange for me, too... And you know, I didn't believe in it before but when it happened I really felt something that I had never felt before and I would be lying if I said that I didn't change my mind about it..." I clarified and he started shaking his head before placing his index finger in front of his lips.

"This is so fucked up" he murmured and I nodded as I just had to agree with him. "So what now? We stay friends?" he asked, raising an eyebrow at me.

"I really hope so, but you tell me" I answered and he let out a big sigh before looking at me with a sympathetic look.

"I... I think I'm going to need some time... Katy, I feel about you the way you feel about Ashton and I'm going to need a bit of time to accept the fact that we are not going to be together; I hope you understand." He said before getting up and leaving the place.

I let out a long sigh as I covered my face with my hands. It did hurt to have to say those things and watch his eyes fill with pain. I suddenly felt a presence in front of me and I lifted my head up to see that he had come back.

"Just so you know, I think you'll regret choosing him over me" he let out before turning around once more.

That last sentence left me speechless; my lips were parted but I didn't stop him as he walked out and disappeared. He was my best friend and what he thought would always matter but he clearly wasn't impartial when it came to this.

I took my time while finishing my milkshake and went back home with the feeling that things weren't settled yet.

Greg's POV :