Briny

Y/N POV

"What the fuck?" I say into the darkness before the light is flicked on. I swallow harshly when I see Scarlett in front of me, staring up at me intently.

"You're avoiding me." She states quietly.

"Uh, no I'm not?" I respond as her eyes flicker between mine.

"You haven't even talked to me." She continues.

"I've been busy talking to other people." I offer and shrug. I try to ignore how close our bodies are and remain calm. "Why the fuck are we in a closet?" I ask and look around the space.

"Are you mad at me?" she asks, ignoring my question. Her voice cracks with emotion and I frown.

"Why would I be mad?" I ask instead of answering. If she wants to be weird I can be weird too. We continue to stare at each other and I sigh. "Seriously, what do you want?" I ask and she frowns.

"I can't talk to my friend that I invited to my house?" She asks.

"In a fucking closet? Oh right, you can't be seen with me. Makes total sense." I sarcastically reply.

"I'm sorry, it really isn't your fault. I just. People say things that I can't afford to get out and Colin didn't really like the articles and I don't want to make your life hard." She rushes out. I hold back an eye roll and reach for the door handle, not liking the energy we created in this small fucking closet. I stop when one of her hands fists the cloth of my shirt, keeping me still. "Please don't. You. You have to understand." She whispers and I sigh.

"I understand perfectly. I'm just a random person you met and have only caused you issues. Heard you loud and clear." I respond.

"That's not what I said." She argues.

"Honestly, Scarlett it's fine if you don't want to be friends anymore. You don't have to keep me around because Rose likes me." I give her an out.

"But I want you around. I want you in my life. Please don't think just because I can't be friends in public means you don't mean something to me." I says seriously and my chest tightens at the fire in her eyes. I repeat what she said and my anger about all the conflicting feelings takes hold.

"Oh yeah? What do I mean to you? We've only been friends for like a week." I challenge.

"10 days." She spits out.

"What?"

"10 days...we became friends 10 days ago." She corrects me. I narrow my gaze and she softly bites her bottom lip.

"Okay, whatever. Anyway, you don't have any obligation to keep me in your life if you don't want me there." I continue.

"But I do. I do want you. Please Y/N just listen to me. I went about it the wrong way. I was scared and I just. Please. I'm sorry." She rushes out as her grip on my shirt tightens. I sigh.

"Okay." I give in despite my brain telling me to run.

"Okay?" She asks and I nod.

"Fine. I'll be your secret friend. It's fine." I explain, ignoring the shitty feelings. I don't really like having to be the dirty little secret, but whatever.

"Just until the rumors die down." She urges and I nod. "I missed you." She whispers and I frown.

"You saw me yesterday." I remind her.

"I was trying to be sweet." She teases and we share a smile. Ugh, I'm still a simp. Our eyes lock in a soft gaze and I get lost in her ocean eyes. Our moment is interrupted but the door swinging open and we both jump apart as we look over to Lizzie smirking at us.