019

"Okay, Daddy. I've got all of my classes switched over to online. Can I take a break for a bit before I start on school work?" "Of course, Baby Boy." Smiling, I decided to go out and play with Berry, taking some of his favorite toys with me.

As Berry and I ran outside, I could hear Chan's phone going off. It might be his mom, she checks in on us every once in a while. I think she misses him being home already.

I tossed a ball, watching Berry chase after it, full of excitement as he ran back to me and dropped the ball at my feet. We repeated this a few times before Chan walked out, book in hand. He took a seat on the small patio bench we have, smiling brightly at Berry and I. "Having fun?"

I nodded, beaming, "A lot." "I'm glad, Baby." "Who called?" He shrugged, opening his book where he last left off. "Just mom. Checking in." I nodded, not fully believing his story. He's usually happy when his mom calls, not whatever about it. Something's fishy.

I played fetch with Berry for a good fifteen minutes before deciding to call it quits. I went and sat by Chan while Berry chased the butterflies around the yard. Chan wrapped his arm around my waist while he continued reading his book, seeming very interested in it. I decided that I was going to go do some school work, kissing Chan's cheek before heading inside.

Once in my office, I texted Felix, hoping to get some information on why Chan is acting weird today.

innie: lixie, can i ask you a question?

lixie: of course!

innie: chan said mrs. lee called but he seemed weird about it, not his regular excited about talking with her. do you know if something is up?

lixie: i don't think there is, or at least i haven't heard anything. i'll keep an ear out tho!

innie: thanks :)

Putting my phone away, I started to work on the English paper due next week. Finding the resources and quotes for the paper took so long, it felt like hours of doing just that.

By the time I got around to actually structuring my essay, Chan was knocking on the door asking if I wanted to eat lunch. "Yes!" Running to the door, I opened it to reveal a smiling Chan with a plate full of peanut butter and jelly squares. I squealed with excitement, taking the plate from him and plopping down onto the couch in my office.

Chan left, coming back with two glasses of milk. "Here you go, Baby." "Thank you, Daddy." "You're welcome. What are you working on right now?"

I sighed, "My English paper. He wants us to write a paper based on the field we're studying. I thought it was kind of weird but it's fun to research and write about teaching and children's learning." Chan smiled warmly, "Well I'm glad you're at least enjoying it." I nodded, taking another square and munching on it.

"Hyunjin asked me to go over to work on some music. Do you want me to call Felix so th-" "Daddy, I can be alone. I'll be okay, I promise." He seemed weary, I could see it in his eyes. "I have Berry. Plus, I'm doing school work. I'm not in my Little headspace so I'm okay, I'm big right now."

He sighed, "Okay. But you call me if you need anything, I'll come back home." Smiling, I agreed. With that, Chan kissed me goodbye before leaving.

After finishing the pb&j squares and my milk, I went back to my paper. Berry ventured into my office, resting at my feet while I worked. Time seemed to fly by as it was soon almost five o'clock. I finished my paper and decided to come back to work on my math after dinner.

But Chan wasn't back yet. He's been gone for a while, which isn't abnormal, but he's usually back before dinner. It's his favorite meal of the day because it means movies and cuddles.

Should I text him? No, I don't wanna bother him while he's working. But I can't cook by myself. And I'm getting a little hungry. Maybe I could eat a snack while I wait for Chan to come home? Yeah, I'll do that.

Venturing down to the kitchen with Berry at my feet, I went to the pantry to grab some chips. Jumping up onto the counter, I scrolled through Instagram while I waited for Chan to arrive home. But after thirty minutes of snacking on chips and mindlessly scrolling, he still wasn't home. I'm beginning to worry so I text Hyunjin to see what's up.

innie: hey, jinnie-hyung. is daddy still at your house?

jinnie: no, hyung left about an hour ago

My heart sank, panic and fear taking over me. My mind immediately thought of Raein, but he's still in that mental hospital, Felix calls every week to make sure of it. So where is he?

The sound of my phone ringing pulled me out of my thoughts. I answered without hesitation, "Hello?" "Mr. Yang?" "Yes?" I gulped, not liking the tone of the man's voice. "We'd like for you to come to the hospital, we have a few things we need to talk to you about."

♡♡♡

Felix and I both ran into the hospital, frantically searching for someone to tell us which room Chan was in. Once pointed in the right direction, we ran as fast as we could to his assigned room.

Standing outside of the door was a very tall doctor in white accompanied by two police officers. The doctor looked up from his papers, "Mr. Yang?" "That's me." I stepped forward, trying my best to not break down in tear.

The doctor looked behind me towards Felix. "And you are?" "Chan's brother." I looked between the doctor and the officers, "Why...Why are there officers...here? What happened...where's Chan?"

One of the officers stepped forward, a look of sadness in his eyes. "Mr. Yang, Mr. Lee, Mr. Lee was involved in a car accident."