Chapter 72

Tobias POV
Today's another free day, which I'm thankful for. I'm sitting at breakfast with tris, Zeke, uriah, Christina, and Marlene. They're all laughing and talking about things but my minds somewhere else. I look up and tris is starting at me, and the rest of the dinning hall is empty except us. "Oh." I say. "Yeah oh!" She says. Then laughs lightly. "What's wrong?" She asks. She tilts her head slightly to the left and places a hand on my thigh.

"Just a lot on my mind." I answer and she nods. "Hey tris?" I ask. She turns back to me. "Hm?" "Would you go with me somewhere today?" I ask. Her lips start to curve upward into a smile. "Sure." She says. We get up and head back to the dorms. I look at the time and grab my jacket. "Now??" She asks. "Uh.. Yeah." I say feeling bad I didn't tell her we'd be leaving this soon. She grabs her boots and laces them up. We walk out with our hands entwined together.

We've been on the train for about twenty minutes now and tris looks tired. "Are we almost there??" She whines like a five year old. "Actually we have to jump." "Thank god!" She mumbles and we jump off. She brushes the dust off her pants and I grab her hand. "Tobias why did you bring me to Abnegation?" She asks and you can clearly sense the confusion in her voice. "I need to do something." I tell her. She stays silent probably taking in the familiar surroundings. I lead her down to where my old house stands.

The house is like a photo album that stands before me, except the photos are ones I wish to forget or unsee. "Your house?" She asks. I stay quiet and let go of her hand. "Stay here." I say and I twist the knob of the front door. I close it behind me and as I step in the floor creeks below me. I hear someone emerging from a room upstairs and as he makes his way down, his black scalding pits of hell stare into my ocean blue orbs. "Tobias?" He asks shocked to see me. "Marcus." I say in my coldest dauntless voice. I will not let this man intimidate or scare me.

"What are you doing back in Abnegation? I thought you betrayed your faction." He says. The last part he states as a fact not a question. I stay silent, my lips forming a straight line. "Thought you could become brave? Strong?" He says as he reaches the bottom of the steps. He keeps coming forward and he has a smirk on his face, he's trying to push me. "Well, your not. We all now you're weak, a scared little boy. How can you fit into dauntless when you couldn't even fit into Abnegation." He says. "Your just like your mother. Someone who can't fit in anywhere." He spits the last sentence at me like venom and the mention of my mother drives me over the edge.

I run at him and pull him with me out the door, I throw him into the dusty gravel. He lands with a small moan, trying to hide it but fails. I walk to him while he's down and punch him hard in the jaw. I hear a crack and he spits blood out which stains the pavement. No ones gathered around, which Im thankful for but also disappointed, I want them to see me finally fighting back. I kick him in the ribs hard, knowing that a bruise of many colors will cover that area tomorrow. He groans in pain, I just swing again. The sound of my fist meeting his skin fills the air. I unbuckle my belt, a routine I'm used to, and throw it against his back. He yelps in pain.

"You treated me like shit!" I scream at him, I don't dial down my voice not caring who hears. I whip again, "You hurt me! You ruined me!" I scream. "My mother left because of you! You drove her away!" I yell. Drove her away from me. "Tobias!!" I hear someone scream at me. "You were never a father! You yelled at me for being a disappointment when it was you!" I say still letting the belt fly in the air. "Tobias stop!" The voice screams again. Marcus lays in a heap of tears, sweat, and blood. This scene I've seen too often, but it's normally me in a pool of blood and agony.

"Tobias STOP!" The voice says again and I realize it's tris. I turn and she's running to me. I drop the belt and look back my father. I reach in my pocket and pull something out, tris sees what it is and I hear her footsteps stop. "My mother, says hello." I say sternly and drop the wedding band next to my father. I look back at tris and I can't read her face.

I walk away from the scene and hear tris's footsteps start again, I don't look back. I don't look back at either of them, I just keep walking.