Chapter 42

It wasn't just an empty piece of land. The construction seemed to have begun a long time ago. But as I went across the empty, half-done walls of the small house, I noticed it had been abandoned. Something lost washed up in the air and I inhaled heavily, taking in the fading scent that once belonged to someone.

It reminded me of something but I couldn't my click my thoughts to it.

The scent dissolved and I grew confused. The Alpha moved behind me, studying the incomplete model of the house just as I did. The structure of the house was halfway done. Some of the walls were painted in a beautiful peach color.

I walked to the window and took a glance outside at the backyard where the land extended for miles. Loss of words, I uttered nothing. It was a complete surprise—the first time reading the land deed and then seeing the land itself.

"What is this place?" I questioned, turning to the Alpha as my curiosity grew more. Everything inside the undone house took me back to my young years, when I was still a child and we had a similar house as this except for it was at the hills.

My childhood house was burned, set in fire by the rogues and that was the last of it. I moved out of there when I turned nine and never returned. Soon after, Dad died and Mom bought a new house nearby our old one. We never spoke about the fire or all those things we lost during that time.

"The land was given to your father by mine before he died. It was a gift he always wanted and my father gave it to him in return for his honesty and his righteousness. He was building a home for his family a few months before his passing. After his death, the land was put up in auction and bought by one of my men." The Alpha explained.

The knowledge hit me right in my chest, forcing my heart to churn at the thought of my Dad who had so much for us, for Mom. There wasn't a single wolf in the town that had ever spoken foul about him. I barely knew much about him but I did know that he was a good man.

I let out a hard sigh and asked, "You got this for me?"

"It wasn't hard, Clara." A hint of taunt laced in his voice, still reminding me that I could've taken the right side—his side. "I'll get in touch with the contractors soon but just so you can know that if you ever wish to leave the pack or my town, you can always come here. It's far away from the wolves and it's populated with humans. There are no packs here. It's just you and it's all yours." He continued, stiffly.

"Why?"

He was silent for a few seconds before his lips moved. "I promised you." The darkness in his eyes dilated as he set them upon me.

Tears spilled down my cheeks as my heart curled from within. I looked away from the Alpha out of shame. The more days passed, the guilter I felt and I found it harder to move on from the mistakes of my past that were still a fresh wound to me and everyone.

"Thank you," I murmured as I wiped away my tears. "This means so much and I don't know how I'm ever going to repay you back for all this."

The house my feet were upon once belonged to my Dad. It was his scent, still swarming through the closed walls and across the land ahead. It was faint but it was still there and it was beautiful.

"You don't have to do anything. But you have to promise me one thing." He stepped closer, taking the payment of his debt to me.

"Anything."

"That you are not your mother's daughter."

I didn't hesitate. I gave him a curt nod and said, "I'm not my mother's daughter." If it was one thing, I never wanted to become my mother. I looked upon her when I was young and I applauded her every move since the beginning of time but now that I understood her intentions and her values, I hated it.

I hated every ounce of ego and hunger she carried along with herself. I hated the cold heart pumping in her chest. I hated the blood of innocents over her hands. I hated and objected her every move.

She lost me long ago.

After the small talk, the Alpha showed me around the rest of the house and the rooms that were decided by Dad years ago. While it wasn't complete, I still could imagine living in here, without anyone except for the memories of my Dad. When I walked further inside one of the rooms, I found a few unopened suitcases lying across the floor. They were untouched until I laid my hands above them.

As I unzipped one, I pulled it open and removed out the few frames of us being a family. There were big ones and then there were small ones but every picture held a memory behind it. There was a picture of my parents together, on their wedding day, sharing a kiss and there was another picture of Dad holding me in his arms while I was still an infant.

A lump formed inside me and I tightened my fingers around the frame. Sobs clawed at the back of my throat, I held them back and I smiled at the memory of my Dad. There were still days I saw him lurking around the house, laughing before getting ripped away by the same rogue that killed him years ago.

The visions never left and neither did he.

I wanted to forget the sorrow his death brought into my heart and remember the good times we shared.

"There is something I didn't tell you," I placed my both hands over the frame and covered the picture as the Alpha walked near me. I stayed on the ground as he gestured to me to continue. "I don't know if this is going to affect our child in anyway but if it is, I'm really sorry."

"Tell me." His face filled with terror.

The disturbing thought and the acceptance of my illness tore my insides. It shattered me that for so long I kept it hidden from everyone, that I allowed the full moon to control my head, that I allowed those visions to ruin my nights. It was eating me alive and if by any chance I had taken Nora's advice once to see someone, I wouldn't feel the worm of fear lingering inside me all the time.

"My father's death left a wound in me. It made me unstable at every full moon. Just a glimpse of the full moon always tossed me in a panic attack that I couldn't control till hours. And I don't know how to deal with it except for hiding away during the nights where the full moon was visible." I said, choking out the words one by one as my throat clenched harder and harder, forcing me to stop but I didn't until it was all out.

My vision weakened as tears began to flood down my cheeks. My lower lip quivered in grief and ragged breaths left my throat.

The Alpha kneeled and his hand slid over my back. "What do you see?"

"Flashes of him and that night when the rogue killed him. That's all I can see and it seems like I never forget it." The hair over my back rose as I spoke more about it. It felt like a heavy weight of something had been finally lifted off my chest.

He stroked his hand over my back, soothing my cries down. "Your father was a good man, Clara. He loved you and his family. And while it was unfortunate, he passed away and you cannot keep punishing yourself for his death."

"I know, but I can't stop. It was just too close. I've tried everything but nothing seems to make it go away." I sobbed while slapping a hand over my mouth. "It's just that rogue. It's always there and I keep seeing him take away my father every full moon."

I loved seeing him, it brought calmth to my soul but whenever the rogue attacked him, it killed me and seeing it over and over again drove me crazy.

The Alpha's hand wrapped around the back of my neck. He moved his finger across my jaw and asked, "Would it help you if you got closure to why he died that night?"

My voice trembled a little, "What closure?"

"It wasn't the rogue that killed him, Clara. It never really was."

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr