Chapter XXII: Midnight talks✔️

We watched the first Captain America movie and then moved onto Captain Marvel. Kol thought she was a badass, which he wasn't wrong. Jeremy kept saying she was overpowered. But I told him that Superman was as well. Which he caught me by saying Superman had a weakness and Captain Marvel doesn't. Which I suppose he is right. But that shot me into a long conversation of how her mind is weak. She was mind controlled too easily for being the most powerful.

At that, Jeremy stopped talking saying I could argue any point and it wasn't fair. Kol laughed about Life being unfair and then we continued our movie. Jeremy fell asleep about ten minutes into Iron man. Kol and I kept watching it though. It was my favorite hero. A selfish man turned good. Coming from his rough life of parental abuse. Father never paid any mind to him and his mother never really stood up for him. He made a life for himself. A genius. He was a true hero.

"How is this guy better than Captain America?" Kol asked after I had pointed out how he was my favorite. I smiled looking over at him.

"Steve Rogers is a great hero, but he was born a hero. Born in the wrong body type of situation. Fought for wanting to be a hero." I told him calmly as Tony was flirting with Pepper Pots on screen. Kol's eyes were on me though. "Tony Stark was born in a rough life that people thought was the perfect life. His father was obsessed with Captain America. Never being there for his own son in the way he should. He made mistakes- but once he saw what he was doing wrong, he fixed it. Like with the weapons made by Stark Industry. He saw what was happening and put a stop to it. Tony Stark showed he was human. That humans make mistakes." I took a breath, smiling. "Steve Rogers could have been replaced with a Robot and no one would know."

"You think they could get away with that?" Kol asked. I nodded with a shrug.

"Probably. He doesn't seem to make mistakes- well except for maybe staying in a plane that ended up in ice instead of jumping out of it." I laughed before looking at Kol's face. "He could jump out of that plane. That was stupid. Not to mention the one thing that he had that proved he was human was Bucky Barnes and he barely even hesitated on leaving him behind after finding him. All for some 1940s girl that he fell for." Kol snorted, causing a snore to leave Jeremy.

"Have you two ever-" He nodded towards Jeremy and I before I understood what he had meant.

"Um. No." I told him sternly. "I was his first kiss- but that was because he didn't want to mess up when he kissed this girl Vicki. We have no interest in each other like that otherwise." I looked over at Jeremy's sleeping face, smiling. "He has been like the little brother I always kind of wished I had."

"You have Sawyer." I shook my head at him pretty quickly.

"Sawyer is my older brother- but he and I don't share a decent relationship." Kol furrowed his eyebrows at me confused. "Sawyer has been my protector since the day I was born. He only cares about keeping me safe and that's that. The last time we had a sibling bonding moment was right before I went to France when I had turned 18." I looked into Kol's brown heated gaze. I looked down when I felt his fingers lightly trace the back of my hand before grabbing my hand gently.

"I'm sure he only wants his little sister to survive." He whispered, rubbing his thumb over the veins that bumped out of my hand. I looked back up at him to see he was already looking at me.

"Rebekah told you what happened?" He nodded slowly. "There's more to it than what she knows."

"I'm sure there is. There always is." I sighed.

"I'm not running anymore. I've run for the last four years of my life. Before that I didn't even know I was being prepared for it. I can't do it anymore." Kol stared into my steel eyes. He looked like he understood where I was coming from.

"My family has been on the run for a majority of the thousand years I have been alive.. I wake up to find freedom from that life." Kol spoke, squeezing my hand gently. "Then I find that you offered us even more freedom. A gift of an easier life." He smiled at me as he held his free hand palm up, little sparks of colorful light bursting over his palm. "I won't let you live the life I was forced into. If you stay here- I'll stay by your side."