CHAPTER FORTY ONE

BAM:

"Knoxville!" I knock on the door. I have a key but I want to see if he's awake first. I am under strict instructions from Tremaine to help Knoxville not freak out too much. I don't know how well I'm gonna do because I really just want to be at the hospital with Maddy.

I walk into their room and speed towards the bedroom. I turn on the small bedside lamp to find Knoxville completely asleep. God this is gonna crush him.

"Knoxville hey, wake up dude." I say shaking him slightly. He opens his eyes and squints.

"What? Bam, what's going on?" He says groggily.

"I need you to get dressed right now." I say. He turns to the other side of the bed and sees that Maddy isn't there.

"Where's Maddy?" He asks shooting up.

"I'll explain everything just please get dressed and sit down." I say calmly, well, as calmly as I can.

"Bam you tell me right now! Where is she? Fuck!" He says hitting the dresser. He gets dressed as quickly as he can and sits down to put his shoes on.

"Knox when I tell you this I need you to stay calm and listen." I say.

"Stay calm, yeah right." He mutters, tying his shoelace.

"Maddy's in the hospital." I blurt out. The room goes dead silent. I see Knoxville's face go completely white.

"W-what?" He stutters.

"We came back from dinner and she got attacked by Grant." I say, my voice breaking.

"I'M GONNA FUCKING KILL HIM!!" Johnny says bouncing on his feet and forming a fist with his hand. If I interfere right now, I know that fist will connect with my jaw.

"Dude I need you to calm down, okay. Sit down." I say, backing away from him. He's fuming but suddenly that anger turns into sadness, and fear. He sits down looking at the ground.

"How is she?" He asks softly.

"She has a concussion, a shiner and a really bad cut down her stomach. I think it's bad but she wouldn't let anyone see it. She passed out in the hallway and again in the ambulance and she hasn't woken up. She's breathing though, they have her on oxygen." I explain what Tremaine called to tell me a couple minutes ago.

"I should have been there. I shouldn't have been asleep." He says, shaking his head.

I speak softly. "Johnny this couldn't be prevented-"

"No Bam! It could have! If I was there I could have protected her! I could have-" He yells.

"But you weren't! Listen, I wish I could have been there too! But we weren't! Now all we can do is fucking go to the hospital and support her! Okay?!" I yell back at him. I never raise my voice at Johnny like that, but he needed to hear it. He nods and we walk out the door.

We pass Steve O's door since it's on the way and right when we turn to go into the lobby we see something that crushes Johnny. Maddy's phone, a twinkie and a box of fries, all on the floor.

"Come on Johnny, let's go." I try to push him towards the lobby but he stays, fixated on the stuff.

"I asked her for these fries, fuck." He grabs her phone and leaves everything else. He walks towards the lobby with tears in his eyes.

"I'll drive." He says, wiping his tears off.

"No way, I'll drive." I take the keys from him. He huffs but agrees. He can't drive right now.

...

We pull up to the hospital motor lobby and I pause. I see Knoxville's hands shaking and his knees bouncing.

"Johnny I know you hate hospitals but you have to be strong, for Maddy okay?" He nods but his breathing starts picking up. "Johnny I can't have you go in there if you're gonna have a panic attack." I say. He calms down and nods again.

"Maddy Love! Where is she?" I yell at the nurse. Johnny stays pretty quiet, looking around paranoically.

"Room 325" the nurse reads. I say thank you and head towards her room. Johnny followed quickly behind me. We finally get to her room and see Tremaine standing outside. I texted him when we got here so he knows when to talk with Knoxville.

"PJ. I'm gonna explain how she's doing, then you can go in. Okay?" Johnny nods and gulps. He looks as pale as a ghost right now. "She's gonna be fine, she has a concussion. She's passed out right now but the doctor says she'll wake up before tomorrow. If everything is okay tomorrow, she can go back to the hotel."

"I can't have her at the hotel, she needs a place. I'll rent her a place tomorrow." Knox says frantically. To which Jeff nods and agrees. "Can I see her?" He says.

"I need you to be ready for that, she looks bad PJ. Bad." Tremaine says softly.

"I need to see her."

KNOXVILLE:

I quietly open the door and enter the hospital room. Fuck I hate it in here. The constant beeping of the monitor, the IV drip, the smell. 

I take a deep breath and calm myself down. I see her. Tears come out of my eyes immediately. She's asleep. She has a neck brace on and the whole right side of her face is black and blue. She's wearing hospital scrubs. Her fingernails have blood in them. She tried so hard to defend herself. 

She has dry blood on her forehead, most likely from her head. I can see a few staples hidden in her hair. I sit down next to her and hold her hand. She's all plugged into the monitor, an oxygen mask covering her nose and mouth.

"I'm so sorry Mouse. I'm sorry this happened to you. I'm sorry I wasn't there." I whisper. I sob and wipe my eyes with my sleeve not letting go of her hand.

"I-" I take a deep breath.

"I love you Maddy. So much. Come back to me please." I say. Suddenly I can't be in this room longer and I drop her hand softly and speed walk towards the door. 

I rush to the bathroom and empty my stomach in the trash can. I sob violently, the panic finally catching up to me. I feel Bam come in and rub my back, handing me paper towels. I cough a couple times until I feel like I'm done. I swish water in my mouth and spit out the gross taste.

"She's gonna be fine Knoxville." Bam says. I look at him blankly. "Stay here with her, I'll go to your room and pack her shit so we can find her a place. I'll bring you some extra clothes when I come back too." I nod at him.

I have to be calm and collected, for her. I walk back to her room and nod at Jeff.

"I'm okay." I say. He nods and goes into the room with me.

They set up a bed next to hers while I was gone, I lay down and listened to the soft beeping of the monitor. Jeff sits on the sofa next to the window, making calls.

"PJ I found an apartment nearby. It's brand new and really nice. It's on the expensive side but it's not too bad. 2 rooms, two bathrooms, excellent security." He tells me.

"Buy it." I say simply. Money is no problem for me anymore, and I don't want Maddy to stay at a hotel any longer. I'm not sleeping for a while.

-----

A/N: sorry y'all