CHAPTER FORTY THREE

KNOXVILLE:

All the guys came in one by one, Maddy recognized all of them, except Bam. I could tell how much it crushed him, I can't imagine what he's feeling. I mean the whole reason why I met her is because she ran into Bam that one time.

She didn't smile or talk at all when the guys came in, just nodded her head. She's been talking less and less. Mostly yes or no questions. 

She just got discharged from the hospital. I helped her change into a pair of sweatpants and one of my shirts. She was fussy about me seeing her stomach but I couldn't let her change alone, she doesn't have the strength. The doctor put a big bandage on her stomach so she would calm down but I'm gonna have to see it later to clean it. She knows this.

"Alright Mads, ready to go?" I say, grabbing the bag of clothes we got. She stands still, holding onto her IV cart and nods softly. I hold her hand and slowly but surely lead her to the car. Tremaine and the rest of the guys went back to the hotel and left my car here.

I helped her into the car, taking the IV bag off the stand.

"Alright, hold this and we can go." She holds the IV bag with her frail hands and I pack the stand into the back of the car. I come around and start the car, looking at her and exhaling. She's staring blankly at the hospital entrance. This is gonna be a long night.

...

"This is it. It's not much yet but we can get you more stuff when you get better." I set the bags down on the floor and close the door behind us. We just got to her apartment and it's great. The doorman was really nice to us too. Of course, it's pretty blank right now, we should decorate it soon because it looks real sad. It has a bed though, and right now, that's all we need.

I go into the bedroom and see that her clothes are neatly put away, the guys are great. I hear Maddy slowly wheel her cart into the room and look around.

"Like it?" I ask. She doesn't speak, just nods her head.

"S-sleep" She stutters.

"Yes baby, we're gonna sleep. But first I need to clean your belly, okay?" She immediately feels scared and shakes her head. "Maddy please, I need to clean it or it will get infected, please trust me."

"I'm hurt." She mutters.

"I know baby, lay down, I'll do it quick okay?" Tears brim her eyes and I know how scared she is but she lays down. I grab the cleaning supplies the hospital gave me and sit down next to her. I put the latex gloves on and started.

"I'm gonna lift up your shirt okay?" I walk her through it. She nods and tears brim her eyes. I slowly lift her shirt up until under her breasts. I need to take off the huge bandage next but I catch her as she looks away from me.

"Mads, what's wrong?" I ask. She struggles to form a complete sentence so she just says one word. One word that breaks my heart.
"Ugly."

"Mads, you are beautiful, this doesn't change a thing." I point at her stomach. "I've got so many scars, you know em all." I say, showing the scars on my knuckles from all the fights and on my arms from stunts. She knows there's countless more. "This doesn't make me less hot at all." I crack a joke. She smiles. It's a tiny smile, but it's there. "There you go, let's do this okay?" I say. She nods and wipes her tears away.

I slowly peel the bandage off and reveal her stomach. My breath hitches as I see her wound for the first time. It's bad. It goes all the way down her sternum to under her belly button. That mothefucker that did this to her is gonna pay. Jeff's already working on the case to get him locked up.

I begin to clean around the stitches softly.

"Johnny. Hurts." She cries out.

'I know baby, I'm sorry. Almost done I promise." I say. Causing her this pain is breaking my heart but I have to help her. She cries harder and winces often.

"There we go, done." I say, putting a new, clean bandage on her torso and pulling her shirt down. She grabs a tissue and wipes under her eyes to catch her tears. I kiss her forehead and put all the cleaning shit away.

"Sleep Mads." I say.

"Come." She speaks softly. I was hoping she would say that. I didn't know if she was gonna want to sleep next to me, I'm glad she did.

I take my shirt and pants off and get in next to her. She puts her head on my shoulder as best as she can, staying on her back the whole time.

"Here let me.." I begin as I fix the IV cart next to her. Reaching over her and setting the bag right, checking that it's flowing.

"PJ." She catches my attention.

"Yes sweet girl?" I stop playing with the IV bag and look at her. She moves her mouth as if she's trying to get her words out.
"I- m- s- st- Fuck." She huffs.

"Take your time baby." I say, pushing her hair off her face and watching her focus on saying something.

"I- I lo- love you. Too." She finally says. My breathing pauses and I look at her with the biggest smile on my face. I can't believe it. She heard me when I spoke to her. She loves me. No one has ever loved me like that. I can't believe it.

"I love you Mads, always." I say, rubbing her cheek.

"K-kiss." She says with a small smile on her face. I chuckle and lean in to kiss her sweet lips. I never thought I would feel this again. Her lips on mine, it feels too beautiful for a person like me to feel. I don't deserve her, or her lips. But I am a selfish man. 

I kiss her back softly and smile. We part and she places her head on my shoulder. She sleeps soundly, I stay up all night, hearing her constant breaths. 

-----

A/N: i added a little drawing so you can picture the apartment a little better if you want to. where are you guys from? im curious.