CHAPTER FIFTY FIVE

MADDY:
BANG-BANG-BANG-BANG-BANG

I jump awake at the loud noise of someone banging at the door.

Knox and I were watching a movie and I guess we fell asleep. I'm laying on my side, Knox spooning me from behind with a blanket covering both of us. He jumps awake as well.

"W-who is that?" I say, catching my breath.

"I don't know, it's 1 AM." He says, checking his phone.

BANG-BANG-BANG-BANG

The knocking repeats.

"PJ, I'm scared." I say, blinking rapidly. My breathing quickly picking up.

"Shh, shh, it's okay. Go wait for me in the bedroom okay?" He says standing up. I nod and head to the bedroom, closing the door behind me, muffling the noise.

I figure Knox finally opened the door because I heard footsteps.

"What the fuck are you doing here? How did you get this address?" I hear Knox say.

"Where is she? I need to talk to her." The other man says. I can't quite make out who it is.

"She's not here." Knox responds in a serious voice.

"I know she is. Where is she? Madeline?!" His voice sent shivers down my spine immediately.

Shit. It's Grant.

I quickly open the door and see him. He's standing in front of Johnny, who is facing away from me, barricading the door.

"Just the girl I need to talk to." Grant says.

"Mads, get back in the room. Now." PJ says, looking back at me.

"I need you to do me a solid, Madeline." Grant says, walking towards me.

"Maddy, I'm not fucking playing with you. Get in the room. Now." Knox says, softly pushing me to the room.

"PJ stop. I'm tired." I say, staying outside the bedroom.

"Grant, what the fuck do you want." I say with a serious face. I'm trying to be tough. I hope he doesn't notice that my legs and hands are shaking. Knox definitely does because he's quick to hold my arms, giving me support.

"I need you to cancel the trial." He says.

"The what?" I ask. Trial? What trial?

"Don't act stupid, you're suing me for domestic violence or whatever." He responds.

I remember Tremaine was setting something up when the attack happened but I didn't think it was this serious.

"Grant get the fuck out of my house right now." I say, my eyes tearing up.

Before I know it, his hand is flat on the side of my cheek in a quick motion. I close my eyes and fall to my side at the impact. Everything is blurry after that. I can hear PJ yelling and I can kind of see him punching Grant on the floor.

My ears are ringing and it seems like forever until 3 policemen burst into the front door and separate the fighting boys.

They put handcuffs on Grant and drag him out, talking to PJ quickly and leaving the apartment.

This could have happened in 30 minutes but it felt so fast to me. My ears stop ringing and I can hear clearly now.

KNOXVILLE:

I look down at my bloody hands and bloody face. I can't believe Grant showed up like that, what is his fucking problem. I am still fuming and I wish I could just sit down and drink a whole bottle of whiskey, but Maddy is sitting motionless on the floor.

"Mads-" I approach her.

Her eyes immediately display fear. She shakes at the sound of my voice and cowers into the corner in between the wall and the window. She's scared of me.

"Hey, Mads. It's okay." I approach her again and whisper softly. She shuts her eyes and breathes heavily.

"Stop it, please." She says in between tears. I lift my crimson hands up and back away into the guest bathroom. I shut the door behind me and I hear her hurried steps going into our bedroom. My poor girl.

I take my clothes off and jump in the shower quickly. I wash out all the blood on my hands, scrubbing them forcefully. I wash my face and wince as the water goes into the small cut on my nose.

Standing with a towel on my hips, I gently clean my nose, making sure to get all the blood out and put a butterfly bandage on the cut. It didn't need stitches so this will do just fine.

Wearing a new pair of boxers that I collected from the laundry basket in the kitchen, I thought about whether or not I should sleep in the guest bedroom today. Maddy seemed terrified of me and I think she needs space. I'm really worried about her, she hasn't stopped smoking.

I've talked to Tremaine about getting her into therapy, she's gone through so much in her 24 years. I don't think she knows how to handle it.

I decided to check on her. I slowly and quietly open the door to our bedroom and poke my head in. She's laying on the bed with the covers up to her nose, sleeping soundly. I don't miss the crease between her brows, even sleeping she looks stressed. I wish I could lay with her and hug her and tell her that everything is gonna be okay. I wish I could rub the crease out until it's smooth.

I fight my instinct and close the door softly, walking to the guest bedroom and sitting on the bed. I can't sleep.

----

A/N: fucking aye dude