CHAPTER FORTY FIVE

BAM:

"Yo Knoxville." I speak into the phone. It's noon and I get a call from Knox, what could go wrong?

"Bam, I need your help, I fucked up, bad." He says, he sounds like he's crying.

"What? What happened?" I say, standing up and pacing the room.

"It's Maddy, she's been in a bad mood and I couldn't take it anymore and she was about to step on glass and I-" he pauses, "fuck I-".

"What did you do?" I say.

"I called her Madeline." He says, sobbing into the phone. Oh shit. "I- I didn't m-mean to, I don't know w-why I did that." He says in between breaths.

"Fuck Johnny, where are you?" I ask, putting my shoes on.

"I'm at the airport, going to Knoxville with my sisters. I need to be away for a while." he says, sniffling.

"I think that's a good idea." I say, waking up Dunn. "Dunn, wake up, we have to go to Maddy's." He hears her name and immediately gets up.

"Bam, listen to me, I need you to stay with her, clean her cut, as much as she hates it, she needs it done. My credit card is on the table, buy whatever she needs to decorate the apartment and tell her how sorry I am. I'll be back if she wants me back." He says into the phone.

"Don't worry, Dunn and I are heading over now." I say hitting Dunn's head for him to put his shoes on faster.

"Ow Bam!" he says, rubbing his head.

"Hurry up!"

"Knox, I know you regret it, we'll talk to her okay? Behave." I say.

"Thanks Bam." He hangs up.

"The fuck is going on?" Dunn asks me in the elevator.

"Knoxville called Maddy Madeline and he's going to Knoxville with his sisters." I recap.

"Holy shit."

...

"You should knock, she knows who you are." I say, still very butthurt that Maddy doesn't remember me.

"Hey Maddy, it's Dunn and Bam!" He yells and knocks on the door. Nothing. Dunn turns the doorknob and realizes it's unlocked, that's not very safe. 

We walk into the apartment and it is absolutely trashed. There's cereal and glass everywhere, the couch is upside down, the glass table is even shattered. We go towards Maddy's room and Dunn knocks softly. We hear sniffles coming from the other side of the door, but no sign of movement.

"Maddy? Can you open the door please?" Dunn says. Still nothing.

"Mads, how bout you come open this door for us and we can help." I say. Her sniffles stop and she runs over to the door.

"Bam, Dunn. Thanks." She hugs us both. "Bam, 's been long" she stumbles on her words.

"I came yesterday Mads." I say. She furrows her brows and shakes her head.

"I have n-no see you s-since attack." She says in broken speech.

"Maddy, I've been here everyday. Wait, you know who I am?" I question with hope. She's still crying but not as much now.

"B-bam, you okay?" She asks, confused.

"Maddy, how did we meet?" I ask, holding her hand. She pulls away and speaks.

"CVS, you o-okay?" I jump and yell in excitement. She remembers me! I could cry. She flinches back and looks very confused.

"After the attack, you remembered everyone except me! But now you remember me!" She smiles at me but stays quiet, Dunn pats me in the back and clears his throat. Right, I forgot we're here for Maddy.

"Whatever." She says, shutting the door. Dunn and I look at each other in surprise.

"We've handled Knoxville, we can do this." He says. I nod. We go into the room where she is crying, curled up in bed.

"Maddy, we heard what happened with Johnny. He's worried sick, you know?" I say.

"I don't fucking care, get out." She says. The mood swings are very apparent.

"Maddy, he says he's very sorry. He's taking some time away so you can have some space from him. But he loves you so so much, he said once you're ready, he would love to come back." I explain.

"If loved me why M-Mad-Made-" She stutters.

"He didn't mean it, you know that. He would never hurt you." Dunn says.

"Hurt." She cries into my chest.

"I know Mads, I know." I said, rubbing her back.

"Well how about this, you are lucky enough to spend time with us! We can decorate the whole apartment." I say.

"M-make pretty?" She stutters.

"Very pretty Mads." Dunn says.

This actually might be great.

...

"MADDY PLEASE!" I say, knocking on the bathroom door. We've been here for a while and she won't let me clean her cut.

"No!" She exclaims.

"We'll do it quickly c'mon Mads! Don't be a brat!" Dunn yells and tries opening the door again.

"If you come out, we'll help you redecorate the apartment. With Knoxville's money!" I add. There's silence. The door opens softly and a crying Maddy comes out.

"Quick." she mutters, laying down on the bed. I sit next to her and get the supplies Knox left. I hold the bottom of her shirt and raise it up slowly. She holds it under her breasts. 

I slowly take off the bandage covering her wound. The deep cut is finally revealed to me. I hadn't seen it before but honestly, it looks like Knoxville's been taking really good care of it. The stitches are healing nicely, it's gonna be a gnarly scar though.

"Okay, here we go." I say nervously. My hands are shaking too much.

"Bam." Dunn catches my attention. I look at him with a pleading look. "Here, I'll do it. Okay Mads, you ready?" He asks her.

"R-ready." She sniffles.

Dunn starts cleaning the stitches as carefully as he can. Maddy wincing every so often. He finishes quickly and places a new bandage on her torso.

"T-thank you. D-Dunn." She says softly, pulling her shirt back down.

"No problem Maddy. Do you think I did a good job? Does Knoxville do anything else?" Dunn asks. She shakes her head.

"G-good job." She says, smiling softly.

"Okay, now, let's decorate!" I clap my hands.

-----

A/N: aren't we glad Maddy has good friends? I sure am, fuck.