Chapter 2: Ginni tolerant

"We could double team," Ginni announced one morning, arriving at Trent's locker and handing him an oat latte. "You and Amelia, and me and Tracey."

"I think you mean double date," Trent murmured, taking a sip of the latte. He didn't know whose idea it was to put soggy porridge into coffee but it wasn't great. But he wasn't brave enough to tell his best friend.

Ginni sipped from his own latte. "Sure, yeah, where should we go? Lazy Moe's?"

Trent made a face. "No, it's my night off," he said. He looked around the locker room. Seeing Steele, his eyes lit up. "What about the one Steele keeps raving about? Rockpool?"

"Can we afford it?" Ginni asked, frowning.

"Dunno," Trent grunted.

Ginni sighed and leaned against the lockers. "Me and Tracey were messaging all night," he gushed, smiling, "She's studying art at uni. She's amazing. She was doing an all nighter for an assignment and said my messages were getting her through the night."

"Or the ten cups of coffee," Trent murmured.

"I wonder what coffee she drinks," Ginni said wistfully, "Probably something sweet like her."

"Black," Trent answered drily, "Like her heart. That's what I always told her in high school."

Ginni did a double take. "No milk?"

"Nah, she's lactose intolerant," Trent said, shrugging.

"Oh," Ginni said. He smiled. "At least she's Ginni tolerant."

"Hard not to be," Trent said, reaching over to touch Ginni's cheek and stroke it.

Ginni's face warmed at Trent's fingers. He smiled. "So, when should we do this double teaming?" he asked, eyes bright as he looked into Trent's eyes.

Trent lowered his hand. "Double date," he corrected, rolling his eyes. "You really need to think about what you say. Like when you told everyone we'd been scissoring."

"Well, we had been, you cut my hair after I dyed it blond," Ginni said.

"Yes but..." Trent said, and shook his head. He turned to his locker and grabbed his boots. "Let's go."

Ginni blinked, back to reality. He grabbed his own boots from his locker and followed Trent onto the training track.