Chapter 43 - do it for Trent

"I saw how Fly got the boys to play for Darcy and thought I'd try something similar," Josh Fraser told the camera in his little mockumentary.

He faced the group of eager vflm players, fresh faced and hungry. "Today we're playing for Trent," he announced.

"Bianco?!!????!!??" burst out Harvey Harrison from the front row. 

"Yes," Josh explained patiently. "Trent Bianco. Father son of the great Alex Fasolo." He bowed his head in solemn respect. "I coached Faz in 2019, and it's an honour to coach his son."

"It's about time," Arlo Draper commented, giving Trent's hair a ruffle.

"He's been a little trooper this year," Josh Fraser went on, smiling at Trent in the first row. "Has been through his own personal battles, lost his spot in the senior team, but he's embraced reserves footy with everything he's got."

Trent was blushing, head ducked low.

"We're so glad to have you, Trent," Josh continued. "He's our little swingman, a rock down back and can swing forward when we need a spark." He grinned. "One day you'll be fronting up at the centre bounces!"

The group of vflm players laughed heartily.

Josh sighed wistfully. "I was the first coach to give your dad a midfield spot," he said looking directly at Trent. "I had him when he was at his lowest, and I believed in his ability to be right in the thick of things, in and around the contest."

"My dad just had a baby boy named Fraser after you," Trent piped up. "Fraser Michael Fasolo."

"That's lovely to hear," Josh said, beaming proudly. He felt really chuffed and honoured. Alex really thought that much of him? Josh was baffled, he honestly had no idea of the impact he'd had on Alex's life. To be considered worthy of Alex's child, alongside the greatest coach of all time Michael Malthouse…. "Thank you."

"You're welcome," Trent replied, glad he could make his coach's day.

Josh recovered some composure and wiped tears from his eyes. "So let's go out there today and play for Trent!" He finished. "This is for you Trenna!"

The boys all whooped and cheered, Arlo giving Trent a little cuddle, as they swarmed onto the field.