Chapter 20 - bye Laura

Author's note: with Ginni still recovering from seeing his cats, here's a nice wholesome chapter without Ginni. 

*

Shae (Trent's stepmother) played by a cross between Meredith Blake in The Parent Trap and Miss Trunchbull from Matilda 

*

Hearing footsteps nearby, Laura decided to take a punt. "Trent? Could you come in here for a sec?"

Trent entered the room. "Mum? What are you doing?" He asked, alarmed, watching his mum tie a ribbon around a pink wrapped present.

"Finger please," Laura said, and Trent came over to place his finger on the ribbon so she could expertly tie it.

"Who's this for?" Trent asked, even though he knew. A lump formed in his stomach.

"Just some little things for Daisy," Laura answered, "I'm heading back to Queensland." Her eyes softened as she looked at the hurt in her son's eyes. "Trent, you knew this was always going to happen."

"But... we need you!" Trent cried. "We all love you here—"

"You know Shae doesn't," Laura said quietly.

Trent shook his head, curls shaking. "We're all eating better since you've been cooking every night," he gushed, eyes fever bright. "Dad yells at me less about the cats, um you and Dad-–"

"Your Dad and Shae are married now," Laura reminded him gently. "I'm not a part of this."

"Who'll look after Daisy?" Trent cried, anxiously.

"Shae will," Laura explained calmly. "I was always just the surrogate and just stayed till Daisy settled in."

Trent choked back a sob. "I..." he started before whispering, "who'll look after me?"

Laura looked at her son, pity in her eyes. "I'm sorry, Trent, it's better if I go," she said gently, hand on his shoulder. "I'm leaving you in Shae and Alex's very capable hands—"

Tears poured from Trent's eyes and shuddering sobs racked his body.

"What's going on in here?" Shae barked, entering the room and standing a metre away, arms crossed, lips pursed.

Laura's eyes flicked to Shae. She grabbed the present and held it out. "Just something for Daisy," she said.

Shae warily took the present, holding it delicately as if it contained toxic material. She sniffed. "It better not be full of collingwood merch," Shae spat.

"Um–" Laura began.

Trent cast a hurt look at his stepmother. "What's wrong with that?" He accused, fiercely. "That's the team I play for."

"Daisy will not be growing up a Collingwood supporter," Shae said darkly.

"She's not your baby," Trent argued, narrowing his eyes.

Shae's face darkened. "I don't know who raised you to speak like that but I'd watch your tone, boy," she said and pivoted from the room.

Trent's eyes welled up with tears. He turned to his mum imploringly. "See, Mum, she's just awful," Trent moaned. "I even tried all the parent trap style tricks when I went camping with her and Dad but—" He stopped, seeing his Mum zip up her suitcase. "you're leaving now?"

"Mmhmm," his Mum said, and pulled him in for a hug goodbye, squeezing him tightly. "Look after yourself." And then she was gone.

Trent hurried after her, following Laura to the front door where Alex was waiting. Trent watched as Alex bent down, shared a deep kiss with Laura, and pulled back, both gasping for air. "Come back to visit any time," Alex breathed.

"Mm," Laura agreed but they all knew she wouldn't.

"Look after yourself," was Alex's parting words as Laura hurried down the driveway and into the waiting Uber.