ιтѕ тнe ɢreαт pυмpĸιɴ, ѕαм wιɴcнeѕтer;pαrт тwo

October 31, 2008 - The morning of Halloween

I barely slept last night. We have everything almost figured out. But I still feel like something is missing. I get Samhain raising evil creatures, but destroying a town - seemed a bit too excessive.

There was something more. I feel it in my gut, and my gut is rarely wrong.

More memories of my mother and her teachings have been resurfacing. There's so much wisdom and hidden messages, and I have no idea how to apply any of it. I have no choice but to learn as I go.

I -

𝔑adia's phone vibrates on the table. She looks up from her journal, surprised to see that it was Irene calling.

"Ben?" she answered, figuring it had to be him calling.

Considering their rocky relationship, Irene rarely made an effort to call. In the past, if she did, it was because her father was having one of his drunk breakdowns. If it were about Ben, she'd shoot a text. 

"No, it's not Ben. It's Irene."

"Irene! Hi! I'm sorry to, uh, sound so surprised. You were just the last person I was expecting to call me. Is everything okay?"

"Yes, of course. Everything is fine. The boys are great. I just so happen to have mustered up the courage to call and check up on you. We are on better terms than we've ever been since you left. I want to keep it going, you know?"

Nadia smiled; she was flattered. Irene's gesture was sweet. 

"You're not busy, are you? I considered you might be out playing FBI or something by this time of day."

"Not playing FBI today. I was doing a little journaling before Dean, and I head out. We're looking for a witch. She's summoning a demon that would break a seal and bring us closer to the apocalypse." 

"Wow! That sounds . . . fun?"

"Does it?" Nadia laughs.

"No, it doesn't. It actually sounds quite terrifying. How are you holding up?"

"I'm fine. It's just the job, you know?"

"No, Nadia. It isn't the job. This is Lucifer we're talking about. This is new territory for you and the boys. How are you really holding up?"

Nadia chuckled a bit. She'd given Sam and Dean the same "this isn't our norm" spiel the night before and had already forgotten herself. 

"Honestly, Irene," she stands, causally pacing the room. "I'm terrified. I'm not sure how we can stop something this big. There are so many moving pieces to this puzzle that we know nothing about. But you know who did know? My mother. She tried to warn me and teach me. Instead, I'm lost and angry because she was more than she portrayed herself to be, and I'm paying the price. And at the same time, I feel guilty because I know she loved me. I know she did her best and what she thought was right."

Before Nadia knew it, she was crying. As expressive as she was about how feelings. Sometimes she forgot to stop and feel. It was easy for hunters to push through and focus on cases.

"I'm sorry," she sniffles, wiping her eyes.

"Don't apologize, honey. You have every right to be angry and even confused. Just make sure you don't let it make you bitter. Like you said, your mother loved you and your father. She did what she thought was best. It's all parents can do. It's what you'll do with your kids. I mean, if you want them."

"I haven't really thought about having kids. Children and hunting don't necessarily fit."

"Your father and I made it work. He made it work with your mother."