oɴ тнe нeαd oғ тнe pιɴ;pαrт ғoυr

Dean watches in satisfaction as Alastair coughed up a thick mixture of blood and disintegrated salt. He could barely catch his breath, let alone speak, but that didn't stop him from doing so.

"Something caught in my throat." More fluids surfaced; he coughed and retched, blood dripping from his chin. "I think it's my throat."

Dean chuckles, his tone low and apathetic. "Well, strap in, 'cause I'm just startin' to have fun." He goes back to the cart.

Alastair snorts lightly, watching him go. "You know, it was supposed to be your father."

Dean listened, pouring more holy water into a chalice.

"He was supposed to bring it on. But, in the end, it was you."

"Bring what on?" He pours holy water on the bloodied demon knife.

"Oh, every night, the same offer, remember? Same as your father."

He pours salt on it too.

"And finally you said, 'Sign me up

"And finally you said, 'Sign me up.' Oh, the first time you picked up my razor, the first time you sliced into that weeping bitch...

Dean froze for a moment; he slowly turns to look at a smiling Alastair.

"That was the first seal."

Dean's expression remained menacing as he approached. He searched the demon's eyes; he was playing mind games. He had to be. If there was anything demons were good at, it was talking out of their ass.

He grinned, finding Alastair's lame attempt to get in his mind a bit comical. "You're lying."

"And it is written . . ." Alastair recited with a sneer. "That the first seal shall be broken when a righteous man sheds blood in hell. As he breaks, so shall it break."

The revelation slowly but heavily dawned on Dean. The longer he processed, the more difficult it became to hold himself together. His face began to fall, a tight lip smile being the only thing that kept him from unraveling.

After a moment of what felt like eternal silence he turned his back, letting his demeanor fall completely.

"We had to break the first seal before any others. Only way to get the dominoes to fall, right? Topple the one at the front of the line. Alastair sucks in a tight breath, unable to read the Winchester's face. "Hm," he leans his head back, looking up in wonder like a kid with a big dream.