weeĸeɴd αт тнe тυrɴerѕ; pαrт тнree

𝔑adia had so many things on her mind that her desire to rest diminished. Talking to Jo took some weight off her shoulders. Still, she knew telling anyone else, Irene especially, would be more complex and maybe rightfully so.

Jo could only take Nadia's confession at face value because she wasn't around to see her endure the hardships. Everyone else would worry and probably try to talk her back on the meds. She didn't think they'd understand that she knew she was doing the right thing; for herself and the world.

Nadia hated to say it, but it seemed she had a duty. A mission that her mother tried to prepare her for. None of it made sense, but if she stayed the course, she was sure to get answers.

At about three am, a restless Nadia rolled out of bed to use the bathroom.

Tiredly dragging her feet down the hall back to bed, she bumps into the string hanging from the attic door. It was shorter now that she was older and could easily reach it. She eyed it warily, having not been up there since she was a pre-teen. Perhaps it was time.

Nadia pulls the string, catching the ladder before it can hit the ground and potentially wake the house.

The attic was her place of protection and where she spent a lot of time with Vanessa. There was a fort that they made out of blankets and pillows with Christmas lights hung up inside. Unlike most attics, it wasn't dark or creepy because of the stained glass butterfly night light Vanessa gifted her when she was two.

It never went off and didn't need batteries or even the sun. It hung on the wall and lit up the entire attic. It made all the protection symbols a lot less eerie.

There was a small desk where she would draw and color for hours, and her snack basket was still there. It was full of Ben's favorites; he often used the attic as a hideaway to clean his knives or read up on lore.

Nadia's chest box was still in the corner too. It was full of old toys and stuffed animals that she couldn't part with when she grunge-designed her room. She found some of her old drawings.

Feeling a presence, Nadia's eyes flickered up. She smiled, knowing exactly who it was. Lately, she was getting better at sensing who was around her without looking.

Usually, it was her gut that told her when danger was near. But lately, people's auras have become distinctive.

"Looking for me, stud?"

Dean clears his throat to keep himself from smiling. "If we're gonna do this friend thing. You have to stop saying things like that."

"Right," she motions him over. "Sorry. I just like seeing you sweat. What are you doing up?"

"Midnight munchies," he rubs his rumbling belly.

"There are some snacks over there," Nadia points to the basket.

Dean happily goes over, grabbing two candy bars. He rips it open, taking an obnoxious bite as he joins Nadia on the floor. "What are these?"

"Some drawings I did when I was a kid." She lays them out, staring at each one carefully.

"What's wrong?'

"They're bringing back memories. Like this one," Nadia points to a stick figure with poorly drawn wings. "My imaginary fairy-friend."

"Fairy?"

"Yeah," Nadia laughs shyly. "I can't remember her name or what she looked like. I just always imagined that she had wings."

She points to another, a stick figure with a magician hat and a wand. "This was Gabe."

"Gabe?"

"My mom used to tell me a story about this princess with four brothers. They all had magic powers and lived in a faraway paradise with their father. I guess I took Gabe and made him into a friend."