crιѕѕ αɴɢel ιѕ α doυcнeвαɢ;pαrт ғoυr

Though the charges were dropped, it took some time for the boys to be released. Nadia waited with Jay in the hotel lobby for them to arrive. She felt sorry for the guy. Here he thought that he got his mojo back when really it came at a deadly price. A price that cost him his best friend.

"How did you know?" he asked Nadia.

"About what?" she muttered with her arms crossed over her chest.

"About how I felt?"

"Oh, um, part of it was intuition. The other was the research the boys and I did on you. You were famous and well-known. Now you're doing magic shows in three-star hotels. Of course, there's nothing wrong with that. But I figured it might be bothersome for someone who used to sell out venues."

"Yeah, well, you figured right." Jay nodded, disappointed.

Nadia patted his shoulder empathetically.

Dean and Sam catch their eye as they enter the hotel.

"Hey, you guys all right?"

"Yeah, thanks," Dean kissed her.

"Well, don't thank me," she gestured to Jay.

"Jay," said Sam. "Thanks for dropping the charges."

"You mind telling us why you did it?" asked Dean.

Jay tried to form words but found it difficult to speak.

"Charlie's dead," Nadia tells them.

The boys look at one another, shocked.

"We have to talk," Jay urges. He takes them to a bar near the hotel. After ordering a stiff drink, he tells them about his history with Charlie.

"I was just a kid when we first met. All I knew was how to cheat at cards. Charlie got me out of more scrapes than I can count." Jay drinks. "Hell, I would have been dead by the age of twenty if it hadn't been for him." He sighs, devastated. "He was more than my friend. He was my brother."

"I'm sorry, Jay," apologized Sam.

"Look, I should have listened to you guys when you told me that my show was killing people."

"Well, you weren't the one pulling the trigger," Dean pointed out.

"Yeah, but someone did, and I want to find out who did this to Charlie, so I'll do whatever you guys say. Just tell me what to do."

They paused for a moment. The only person it could be was Vernon and they weren't sure how he'd take the news.

"Jay," Sam speaks up, "whoever's doing this . . . They like you. They're probably close to you."

Jay frowns, not understanding.

"Did Charlie and Vernon get along?"

"No," he shakes his head. "No, it's not Vernon."

"He's the only one that makes sense," added Dean.

"Think about it," Nadia told him. "Charlie and Vernon were your family and now Charlie is gone."

"Yeah, but . . . they butted heads sometimes, but Vernon could never do something like this."