Twenty

Demi

"Ow" I whimpered as the doctor took a look at my ankle.

"Have you had any pain relief, Demi?" I shook my head, trying to keep back the tears forcing their way forward. "We'll get you some pain relief and get you down for an X-Ray. Are you sure that you did this by falling off a ladder?" my eyebrows scrunched together slightly but then it sunk in.

"He-He's just a friend. I'm not in an-an abusive relationship. I really did just fall off a ladder" the doctor nodded. "Do-Do you think it's broken?" he glanced down at my ankle.

"It's swollen and starting to bruise. It could just be a strain but without the X-Ray, we won't know."

"Thank you" I released a breath.

"I'll get you some pain relief sorted" I flashed him a light smile as I nodded. I groaned as I stared up at the ceiling, wiping a fallen tear from my cheek. How can I take care of Riley with a broken ankle? I won't be able to work which means no...

"Hey Demi" I jumped from my thoughts and glanced to Jace. I quickly wiped the tears from my cheeks. "You okay?"

"He thinks it might be broken. I don't know how I'm gonna take care of Riley if it is broken" I reached for my phone, smiling at the photo that Odell had sent.

"I'm so sorry, Demi. I-I really didn't mean to..."

"It's fine, don't stress about it" I tapped on Odell's contact ID and pressed the dial button. I placed the phone to my ear.

"Hey, you on break?"

"No, I'm actually in the hospital."

"What the fuck? Why? What you done, D?" his worry was obvious through the phone.

"I fell off a ladder whilst reorganising a shelf. I might have broke my ankle and I don't know what the fuck I'm gonna do if I have. I've gotta look after Riley and..."

"Demi. Demi" I cut myself off once I finally heard his voice.

"What?"

"Calm down, okay? You've got so many people who can help out with Riley. You need me to come to you?"

"No, I-I'm fine. Can you just stay with Riley?" I glanced to Jace who flashed me a warm smile. It's the first time I'm actually seeing a different side to him. He no longer seems cocky and full of himself. It's like he actually cares for once.

"Of course, D. How you gonna get home?"

"I'll call a cab" I glanced briefly to my ankle that was very slowly turning purple.

"Keep me updated, Demi, and Riley's fine" I nodded, glancing over at the lady that approached with a wheelchair.

"O, I'm gonna have to go. I'll message you."

"See ya later" I pulled my phone from my ear and hung up, glancing to the lady with a light smile.

"Hi Sweetheart, I'm Claire. I've come to take you for your X-Ray" I nodded, slowly sliding off the bed. I was thankful for Jace and Claire as I transferred over to the wheelchair. Jace promised to stick around as I was wheeled off for my X-Ray. I was away for at least half an hour before I returned. Jace was sat by the bed and I gave him a smile. The doctor returned pretty quickly to let me know that my ankle is in fact broken.

"We're gonna get it cast for you as soon as possible. We'll prescribe you some pain relief and then we can discharge you" I numbly nodded. All I can think about is Riley. I can't care for her alone with a broken ankle.

"I feel like I owe you" I laughed as I glanced to Jace.

"Owe me how?"

"I technically caused you to break your ankle" he pointed down to my ankle. "Let me take you out?"

"Like-Like on a date?" I stared at him with slightly raised eyebrows. He seemed to nervously laugh as he glanced down at his hands that he had clasped together.

"Yeah, or-or just friends. Whatever" he shrugged his shoulders. I bit down on my lip as I watched him. "You're gorgeous, Demi, and you kinda make me nervous. I've tried to act confident around you but I think I made myself look like an ass" I smiled as he glanced to meet my gaze.

"Kinda" he nodded as I softly laughed. "I have a kid, Jace. I-I'm not a normal 18-year-old. My daughter comes first and she always will" he flashed me a smile as he nodded again.

"That doesn't change anything, Demi. I-I still like you and I..." he had a light red tint to his cheeks.

"Then yes, you owe me date" his lips twitched into a wide smile. "But, can we wait until my ankle heals? I-I don't know how hot I can look with crutches" he laughed. My cheeks lightly burnt as I glanced down at my hands.

"That sounds good" I was taken to have my leg cast a little while later. I kept sending Odell updates. I was shown how to use crutches and then was wheeled from the hospital by Jace who offered me a ride home. I just told Odell that I'd got a cab, not really sure how he'd react if he found out about Jace. He didn't even like that he kept looking at me the first time we met, if I remember rightly, he wanted to beat him up.

"Thank you for the ride" he nodded as he brought his car to a stop outside my apartment building. "I'll be fine from here."

"You sure, I don't mind..."

"I'll be fine" I don't want Odell to see him.

"Pass me your phone" my eyebrows scrunched together but I passed him my phone anyway. "I'm putting in my number. Message me. We can sort out that date when your ankle feels better" I flashed him a light smile as I nodded, my cheeks burnt slightly at the way he watched me. I took my phone back from him. "Just message me and then I'll have your number" I nodded as I pushed open his car door.

"Thanks Jace."

"See ya around, Dem" I flashed him a smile as I sorted myself out on my crutches. I hobbled up to the main door. Jace didn't drive away until I was inside. I gave him a light wave and then I headed towards the elevator. It's 10:32 and I know Riley will be asleep, or she should be. I unlocked my front door and hobbled inside to find Odell sat on the couch with a cranky Riley. She isn't asleep then.

"It's Momma, Ry" Riley's head turned to me and she whined, her pacifier falling from her mouth.

"Hi Jellybean. Why aren't you asleep?" I took a seat on the couch. Odell took my crutches off me as I took Riley.

"She wouldn't sleep. It took forever to get her to stop crying" she instantly cuddled into my chest. I took the pacifier off Odell and passed it to Riley. She began to suck on it as she remained cuddled into my chest. "I think she missed you" I pressed a soft kiss to the top of her head.

"I missed you too, Baby Girl" I lightly caressed her back.

"How's your ankle?"

"It's sore more than painful. I don't know how I'm gonna look after Riley alone. This sucks" Riley's breathing began to settle, it was obvious that she was falling to sleep on me.

"You ain't alone, D. I can stay tonight, if ya want?"

"You're a lifesaver" he laughed as I flashed him a wide smile.

"You want anything to eat?"

"Food would be incredible. Hospital food sucks so I didn't eat anything. A sandwich would be good, just use whatever you can find" he nodded as he headed into the kitchen. "I missed you, my Baby" I continued to caress Riley's back as I managed to pull out my phone. I tapped onto Jace's contact ID, a smile slowly forming on my face as I typed out a message.

To Jace: Hi. It's Demi 😌

I pressed a soft kiss to the top of Riley's head.

"Momma's got a date, Beautiful" I softly whispered. "She won't ever forget about you though. You're my number 1, Riley Bree" I was surprised when my phone buzzed.

From Jace: Hi. How's the ankle? 😅

I softly laughed as I taped out a reply, only moving my phone when Odell returned with my sandwich.

——