Thirty Seven

Demi

The bruises became harder to hide as the weeks went on. There wasn't a day that went by that I wasn't at least slapped for just speaking to him. His constant downgrading comments made me retreat into myself. My confidence plummeted. I continued to work, having to cover my body in makeup to hide the bruises Jace had given me. I tried not to get involved in any modelling gig that required me to be in skimpy clothes or lingerie. I'm having major body image issues. I've tried to break up with him but I just get a beating in reply. He's threatened to hurt my family, he's threatened to hurt Riley if he finds out that I told anyone.

Halloween came around quicker than I expected it too. Riley, who is now toddling all over the place, spent the evening with my parents as I was dragged along to one of Jace's parties. I took Riley trick or treating with my parents beforehand, she was dressed as a dog and she looked adorable. The aim was for her to be Toto as Madison dressed as Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz. Together they looked cute and they gained a lot of attention from the people in our neighbourhood.

"You ain't wearing that" I quickly glanced up at Jace. "You my girlfriend. You ain't showing off those" he indicated to my breasts that were barely on show.

"I-I don't have anything else to wear" I froze as his jaw clenched. My heart began to thump against my chest.

"You arguing with me, Demi?"

"No, I-I was just..." he released a breath as he looked me up and down. His eyes met mine and all I saw was disgust.

"Knew I shouldn't have sent you shopping with Dallas" he rolled his eyes as he spoke. "If I see any guys staring at you, you'll regret it. Hurry up, we gotta go" I jumped as he stormed from the room and he slammed the door behind him.  I turned back to stare at my reflection, tears lining my eyes. For the first time in a while, I actually felt good about myself and he had to go and ruin it.

The party was being held at the college frat house, it's being hosted by them but was organised by Jace. The house was crowded by the time we got there. There was a strong smell of alcohol and cigarettes, there was probably other stuff mixed in there too. Jace kept his grip tight on me as he dragged me through the large crowd of sweaty bodies and into the kitchen. I was forgotten about when he was greeted by some of his mates and was passed a glass of some liquid. I kept to myself for the most part, grabbing a bottle of water.

"Hey D" I jumped, forcing a smile as Odell stepped into the kitchen behind two guys dressed as football players. Odell was also dressed as a football player. Very original.

"Hi. I-I didn't realise you were invited" he loosely wrapped his arm around my neck. I welcomed the hug but caught Jace's gaze over his shoulder. There was anger in his eyes.

"I ain't miss a party, D" I softly laughed as I pulled away from him. I watched Jace approach over his shoulder, my heart sunk into my stomach. I tried my hardest to keep the smile on my face as Jace threw his arm around my neck.

"Hey Man. Good to see ya" he held his hand out towards Odell who instantly shook it. "Grab yourself a drink. Just gotta borrow my girlfriend a second" a lump suddenly formed in my throat. Odell headed to grab a drink whilst Jace's grip tightened around me and he led me from the kitchen. I whimpered as I was slammed back into a wall. "You better not have invited him" I shook my head, cowering under his gaze as he towered over me, his hands either side of my head.

"No, Jace. I swear I didn't."

"Then how the fuck he find out about this shit?"

"You go to the same college, you're on the same football team so he probably..." his jaw clenched.

"You trying to be smart with me, Demi?" I blinked to force back my tears as I shook my head again. My hands had moved to press against his chest. I felt intimated by his stare.

"Hey Jace" he quickly moved himself away from me at the voice. I was finally able to breathe.

"Chad, how you been?" he gave me one last threatening glance before he headed down the corridor. I relaxed back against the wall, just kind of wanting to be alone for a moment. I messaged my Mom whilst it was quiet to check up on Riley. She sent back a photo of her fast asleep in reply. Odell was still in the kitchen when I headed back in.

"You okay?" I flashed him a smile as I nodded. "Where's Jace?" Odell's eyebrows scrunched together as I shrugged.

"He went off with some guy called Chad."

"Also a dick" he mumbled under his breath. I didn't have the energy to argue so I didn't say anything in reply.

I definitely didn't feel up to partying but I headed to dance with Odell anyway. I eventually started to actually have fun. I hadn't seen Jace in a while and it didn't bother me. I may have drank a little too much so when some blonde guy started giving me attention, I lapped it up.

"Luke, you may wanna back off, she's Jace's girl" his name forced me back into reality and suddenly the fuzziness that had settled in my brain lifted. I hadn't even noticed that the guy had his hand on my waist and I was pressed back against the wall. I released a breath, moving away from him but it was too late. My eyes met Jace's. He looked pissed and suddenly I feared for myself and this guy I just got into some deep shit.

"Jace" it was like everyone stopped. His jaw and fist clenched as he walked towards me.

"You eyeing up my girl" my heart began to pound against my chest. "No one gets away with that" I gasped, my hands flying to cover my mouth as he threw his fist at Luke's face.

"Jace, stop" he threw punch after punch. "JACE" someone eventually managed to pull him off Luke who fell to the floor, his face completely covered in blood. Odell had appeared at some point and I hadn't even realised until I went to move that he had a grip on my arm.

"You flirt with my girl again and there'll be more lined up for ya" he then turned to me and my heart plummeted.

"Jace..."

"You fucking serious, Demi?" I continued to stare at him, trying to settle the pounding of my heart.

"Nothing happened" his eyes rolled.

"Yeah, and it looked like it was gonna stay that way" his anger was obvious as he spoke through gritted teeth. If we weren't in a crowd full of people I would have got a beating. He stepped up to me, pressing his lips to my ear. "You wait till we get home. I warned you" he whispered so that only I could hear him. His voice was low, it was threatening. I stumbled into Odell as Jace pushed past me.

"D, you okay?" I turned to Odell and nodded, keeping my eyes off his so he wouldn't see the fear in mine.

"Yeah, just-just need a drink" I staggered into the kitchen, my head starting to hurt. I really shouldn't have drank.

——