Forty Three

Demi

"No, Riley" her lower lip stuck out as I gently took the teddy from her hand and placed it back onto the shelf. "You have enough teddies at home, Baby. You don't need anymore" my heart broke as her eyes welled up with tears and her chin began to quiver. "Hey, where's Uncle O?" that thankfully helped to distract her and she started to search for Odell. I released a breath as I pushed the shopping cart behind her.

"O" she screamed at the top of her lungs as she noticed Odell. He was talking to one of the sale assistants. She was blonde, slim and smiling at Odell like he'd hung the moon. I couldn't see Odell's face as he had his back to us. I watched him as he turned to Riley who was toddling towards him.

"Hi Jellybean" a smile spread across his face and she giggled as she jumped into his arms.

"I'll try and sort it for you" Odell nodded and then the blonde walked away. I kept my eyes on her as I continued towards them. I didn't understand the jealousy that I felt. She's a sale assistant, if he wants something he has to talk to her.

"What was that about?"

"Just asked for some help with something" he commented, keeping his eyes on Riley who was sat on his hip, playing with the gold chain around his neck.

"What?" his lips twitched into a smirk as he laughed.

"Mind your business" I rolled my eyes as he tapped me on the nose. "Now, does Ry want a cookie?"

"No, she doesn't" he laughed, bouncing Riley on his hip causing her to laugh. "She'll have a sugar rush and I'll be left to deal with it" I commented, grabbing some potato chips off the shelf as we began through the grocery store. Odell was distracted by Riley, trying to get her to say different names for things around the store so he didn't notice them. I came to a stop though when her eyes met mine. "O" my voice was barely a whisper. "Odell" he stopped and turned to face me, his eyebrows raised. I just kept my eyes on the couple as they started towards me. I could feel myself beginning to panic. My heart was pounding against my chest.

"You okay, D?" I shook my head. Odell turned to see what I was staring at. "Ah shit" he adjusted Riley in his arms and then moved to stand between me and Jace's parents.

"I knew you were fucking trouble" Johanna hissed, pointing her finger at me. "My son isn't an abuser. How could you accuse him of that? I doubt he's done shit to you" I gripped onto the back of Odell's shirt, my hand physically shaking. Her loud voice was gaining attention from other customers.

"Hey, back off."

"You haven't got anything to do with this. This is between me and her. You abort my son's baby and try to make him out to be the bad guy" my eyebrows scrunched together. I didn't even think he'd tell them about that. "Why don't you tell them the truth? He didn't do shit to you, did he?"

"Your son pleaded guilty. Think that shows..."

"I ain't talking to you."

"I don't fucking care. I ain't having you talking shit to my best friend who hasn't done shit to you or your asshole of a son. She's been through enough shit. I suggest you leave before the police get involved and I suggest you both stay the fuck away."

"You're just a whore, Demi. Accused my son of abuse and then moved on to someone else. I knew I should have tried harder to get him to break up with you. I knew you were a bad influence on him" I gave Odell's shirt a light tug. I don't want to listen to anymore of her insults. I can't. I could feel myself beginning to panic and struggling to remember the techniques my therapist had given me to help me calm down.

"I suggest you leave before I call security, and the police. This shit is harassment. Your fucker of a son is a liar" Riley began to squirm in Odell's arms so he turned to pass her to me. I took her with shaky hands and then clutched her against my chest. "I suggest you leave and stay away. I don't wanna hear that you're harassing her again, you fucking understand me?" I kept my face nuzzled into Riley's neck until Odell spoke. "They've gone, D. You okay?" a tear rolled down my cheek as I glanced up at him. He softly wiped it away.

"No" he loosely wrapped his arm around me. "He-He told them about the baby. He didn't-He didn't want them, he said he'd get rid of them if I didn't."

"Demi, he's a fucking asshole and if I ever see the fucker again, he's dead" I sniffled, combing my fingers through Riley's curls as her head lay on my shoulder. "His sentencing has to be soon, right?"

"This week. That's probably why they're here" security had been alerted by a passing customer so they came to check if I was okay and ask for a recount of the events which Odell gave. We quickly finished off our shopping. I was constantly looking over my shoulder, fearful that we'd run into them again. I hate attention and I hate being called a liar. Being able to even speak to the police about it was hard enough. I'm honestly thankful he pleaded guilty. I don't think I could stand up in court and recount every act of abuse. I couldn't handle being ripped to shreds by his lawyer.

The house was empty when we got back and Odell helped me to pack away the groceries as I settled Riley down for a nap. Odell stuck around for a bit and then had to head off to work. Riley woke from her nap just as Mom came home with Madison who would not stop chatting about her day at school. She kept Riley busy whilst I helped Mom make dinner. I decided not to mention the whole Jace's parents thing, it'll just make her worry unnecessarily.

It was at the end of the week that we found out Jace had been sentenced to 10 months in county jail and had to complete 150 hours of community service. A restraining order for 12 months from his release was also put in place, he won't be able to come within 50 feet of me or my family. It wasn't enough but it was his first offence and apparently because I had no 'serious' injuries, they wouldn't give him a harsher sentence.

I continued to see my therapist weekly, able to eventually feel myself returning back to the person I was before Jace. I also started to attend the gym with Odell to try and help my confidence. The one thing it didn't help with was my feelings for my best friend. I'm in no way ready for another relationship but seeing him all hot and sweaty, really did make me feel all kinds of things. We always had a laugh whenever we went so it never really felt like a workout. It was a few weeks later that I truly started to see a difference.

——

I've just uploaded for the first chapter to my new Odell and Demi story called 'Benefits.' Check it out 💗