Forty Five

Demi

Riley got a toddler bed just a few days after she climbed out of her crib for the first time. There was a few other occasions where she made her escape, it happened more during nap times. I worried she wouldn't settle in a toddler bed but she adjusted pretty quickly. There were a few mornings where I found her hanging half off it though. I'm just glad she's adjusted. I really did worry that she'd struggle to sleep.

We spent Mother's Day and Father's Day with my parents. Riley didn't get to see Nick on Father's Day as he was unable to come home but he made it back the weekend after. He took Riley for the weekend so I got to spend some time alone. As much as I did miss Riley, the little break was nice.

I started to struggle a little with my feelings for Odell. At times it seemed to me like he reciprocated my feelings but then he'd say or do something to completely remove that thought. He had started to spend so much more time at mine and his bond with Riley just continued to grow. I started to worry that him constantly being around would just confuse her and that isn't what I want for her, but I love him being around even if it does mess with my emotions constantly. I even spoke to my therapist, who I see every two weeks now, about my feelings and she actually suggested that I tell him. If I had enough courage, I would, but I don't. I'm too afraid of rejection.

Riley's second birthday came quicker than I expected it too. We took her to the zoo and then had a cookout at my parents. She was smiling and giggling the entire day. She named a majority of the animals and then walked around the zoo making different animal sounds. It was adorable.

"Happy birthday to you..." everyone cheered as Nick and I assisted Riley in blowing out her candles. She giggled and relaxed back into me, her hand covering her mouth.

"Happy Birthday, Jellybean" I pressed a soft kiss to her cheek and gave her a light squeeze. She turned into me, her arms wrapping loosely around my neck. I softly caressed her back, lifting her into my arms as I pushed myself to stand. "Are you all partied out, Baby?" I softly whispered, running my fingers through her soft curls which were still damp from the pool.

"Riley?" she removed her face from my neck, moving to suck on her thumb as she turned to my Mom. "You want any cake, Beautiful?" she turned to me as she yawned, dropping her head onto my shoulder, going back to sucking on her thumb.

"I'm gonna get her into bed" Mom flashed me a smile as she nodded. Nick leant to softly kiss Riley's cheek.

"Have a nice sleep, Baby Girl. I love you."

"Wuv Daddy" she gave him a subtle wave. My heart melted as I pressed a soft kiss to the top of her head. We waved night to everyone else in the living room and then headed upstairs. I quickly ran her a bath which Riley was struggling to stay awake in, her little eyes kept drooping.

"You had a good birthday, Baby?" I received a mumble in reply. I softly laughed at her. "You're gonna sleep well tonight, Jellybean. Okay, lets get out" I lifted her from the bath and wrapped a towel around her. I quickly changed her into a pair of Paw Patrol pyjamas and then got her settled in bed. "Do we want a story, Baby?" I softly spoke, combing my fingers through her curls as her head lay on her pillow. She shoved her thumb into her mouth and nodded. I grabbed the book that we started to read last night and continued it. I was only a few pages in when I glanced to Riley to find that she was fast asleep. "Good night, Jellybean. I love you so much" I pressed a soft kiss to her forehead.

Everyone slowly started to leave once the birthday girl was in bed. Odell was the last to leave and that wasn't until the early hours of the morning and I could no longer stay awake. We spent the majority of the night just watching movies.

The rest of the week was pretty uneventful. My birthday very quickly creeped up on me and before I knew it I was getting ready for my first time at a nightclub. I had spent the daytime of my birthday with my family at my parents. They had also offered to look after Riley whilst I was out for the night so I'd taken her over with an overnight bag. Now that she's 2, most of her things fit into a little backpack instead of the huge diaper bag I used to have to carry around all the time.

"Where's Odell taking you anyway?" I shrugged, glancing at Dallas over my shoulder. "You're a little dressed up for a movie night and it to just be the two of you" I rolled my eyes, fed up already with her questions. "Maybe he's gonna make a move" I shook my head, taking a seat on my bed and sliding my feet into my stilettos. "You look gorgeous" my lips tugged at the corners as I glanced down at myself. I'm wearing a silk navy blue dress that hugs my body and also flashes my cleavage a little. It took weeks for my body confidence to boost after Jace. He really did make me insecure.

"Thanks."

"So, where is he taking you?" I rolled my eyes again at her question. I pushed myself to stand, smoothing out my dress as I moved to stand in front of my mirror.

"I don't know. I just-I know that we're going out."

"You ain't old enough to drink so..." her eyes narrowed in on me. "Demetria" my eyebrows raised at her scolding.

"What?" I questioned as I turned to her.

"When did you get a fake ID?" I bit the inside of my cheek as her lips tugged into a smirk. "I definitely didn't take you as a rebel. Well, I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised, you did get yourself pregnant at 17" I rolled my eyes as she laughed. "Be careful, okay? You're my little sister" I flashed her a smile.

"I promise. I'm going with Odell so I doubt he'll let anything happen to me" I shrugged. "He's been more protective since the whole Jace thing" I wondered back towards my bed, checking my clutch to make sure I have everything.

"He definitely likes you" my cheeks flushed and a warmth spread down my spine. "I trust him to take you out, but still be careful" I nodded, turning to wrap my arm around her. "Happy birthday" I smiled as I pulled away from her.

——