Forty Four

Demi

Odell took me out on Valentine's Day and I know to him it probably wasn't anything romantic, but for me it didn't help at all with my feelings. We headed to the movie theatre and then out to dinner. The restaurant was full of couples but I never once felt awkward with Odell. He never corrected anyone when they called us a couple either. It had me questioning a lot for the days and weeks to follow.

Nick came home whenever he could to see Riley but FaceTime remained their main source of contact. Riley grew closer to Odell over the last few weeks and had even started to slip up a few times by calling him 'Dada.' We never spoke about it, just encouraged her to call him O like she previously had been. I didn't understand the sudden change.

"Who's that, Baby?" I pointed at the photo of Dallas that was sat on the mantelpiece.

"Tee Dee" she giggled, her finger pressed to her lips. She hasn't quite mastered 'Auntie' yet.

"That's right. And who's this?"

"Nana."

"And?"

"Papa" I pressed a kiss to her forehead as she giggled and began to bounce on my hip.

"Who's this, Riley?" I pointed to a photo of Odell.

"Dada" I softly laughed as I shook my head.

"No, Honey. That's Uncle O" her brown eyes burnt into mine as she silently sucked on her finger for a moment.

"O no Dada" she shook her head and then pointed at the photo. I pressed a soft kiss to her temple. I carried her towards the couch and then took a seat, settling her on my lap.

"Where's Momma's nose, Ry?" the smile on my face widened as she poked the end of my nose. "Where's Riley's ear?" her lips pursed for a moment and then she giggled as she pressed her finger lightly into her ear. "What about your eyes, Baby?" she covered her eyes with her hands. "I love you. You're so clever" she giggled as she puckered her lips. "You want a kiss?" her squeal filled the living room as I began to tickle her sides. She squirmed off my lap and then laid down on the floor in a fit of giggles. She didn't even quiet down at the sound of the doorbell. I headed to grab the door, laughing as she continued to giggle to herself. Odell was stood on my front porch. I've recently moved out of my parents and with the money from my modelling gigs, which has paid a lot more than the bookstore, I've managed to get myself a little two bedroom house. "Hi" my heart skipped a beat as he flashed me a smile.

"What's Ry laughing at?" he loosely wrapped his arm around my neck and I instantly welcomed the hug.

"I don't really know anymore" my breath caught in my throat as he pressed a quick kiss to my temple before he pulled from the hug. I was frozen for a moment, trying to regulate my breathing as Odell headed into the living room.

"O!" Riley squealed.

"Hi Jellybean" I shut the front door and then headed into the living room where Odell was tickling Riley. A smile formed on my face as I took a seat on the couch. Riley lay breathless on the floor as Odell moved to sit beside me. "So, I've been thinking" my eyebrows raised as I glanced to him.

"Uh oh" I bit down on my lip and smirked as he rolled his eyes and gently nudged me in the side. I giggled as he shook his head. "Go on, tell me. I won't tease anymore" he laughed, smiling at Riley as she tried to pull herself onto his lap.

"You got plans for your birthday yet?"

"O, it's April. My birthday isn't till August and I've got Riley's 2nd birthday to plan before that" I glanced to Riley who was playing with the gold chain bracelet on Odell's wrist.

"I wanna get ya a fake ID, you cool with that?"

"Why do I need a fake ID?"

"I wanna take you to a nightclub."

"Do you have a fake ID?" his lips twitched into a smirk. "Odell Cornelius, that is illegal" he just laughed as I lightly hit him on the arm. "I've never been to a nightclub."

"That's the whole point, D."

"And how do I know you won't ditch me for some random girl? I know you" he rolled his eyes as he laughed.

"You mean more to me than some girl" my heart skipped a beat but before I could even have the chance to question him, he started up a conversation with Riley.

Odell stuck around, helping me put Riley down for a nap and then ordering takeout. It was just after takeout arrived that there was a light thud upstairs. Odell and I turned to stare at each other for a moment and then we both darted upstairs. A light cry filtered from Riley's nursery. I pushed open the door to find her standing on the outside of her crib. She was reaching between two rails trying to reach her stuffed teddy.

"Riley Bree?" she quickly removed her arm and glanced up at me, her brown eyes welled up with tears. "What are you doing, Baby? How did you get out of your crib?"

"Climb" she pointed upwards and then whined, reaching back for her teddy.

"You want Ted, Baby?" she nodded, her chin trembled. I reached over the railing to grab it and then knelt back down in front of her. "You can't climb out of your crib, Baby. It's dangerous" I softly wiped at her tear stained cheek. She smiled at me as I passed her the teddy. "I think it's time for a toddler bed" I muttered to myself and then leant in to kiss her forehead. Riley wrapped her arms around my neck. "You're growing too quickly, Jellybean" I mumbled into her neck. I stood, settling her on my hip and then turning to Odell.

"She okay? No damage" I softly laughed as Riley lifted her head from my neck and instantly reached for Odell.

"She seems fine. I can't have her climbing out of her crib though" I ran my fingers through my hair as Odell took Riley. "I'll have a look for a toddler bed tonight" I spoke, lightly running my fingers through Riley's curls.

"You're a little daredevil, huh Ry?" she giggled as Odell bounced her on his hip. "You wanna try some Chinese? It's good" I rolled my eyes as I followed them downstairs, the smile on my face was enormous as I listened to them converse. Odell and Riley's bond is one of the sweetest I've seen.

——