Part 19

Part 19 (Kane Pov)

Exhaustion seemed to be taking hold as the surgery lasted longer than any of them could imagine. An unfortunate event of a dog being hit by an oncoming car. Now all Kane wished for was to be back in his office. Hoping to be greeted by the overexcited and energetic shifter, they left inside.

Owen was lagging slightly and dragging his tired body close behind. As it wasn't his first surgery of the day, he was already wiped from having to leave early in the morning. Though Kane could see a pep in his step at getting to greet Damian.

However, they were met with eerie silence when Kane opened the door. No enthusiastic hello's or welcome back seemed to greet either of them. Kane could feel the panic beginning to rise in his body. Owen stepped him, moving deeper into the room. "Damian, we're back; no need to hide you're scaring us." Owen sounded petrified, and Kane could do nothing but stand beside him.

"Perhaps he just shifted and is taking a cat nap," Kane said questionably, now searching around the room. He was ducking underneath furniture and lifting up certain spots to find nothing. Not a trace of Damien was anywhere in the office. Not a note of goodbye or even an item out of place. Kane could only see a distinct book lying on the far side of the room.

It lay distorted, the pages crumpled, and the spine slightly concaved. Besides that, no trace of the shifter was anywhere in the office. Then, Kane heard the door open and quickly slammed shut. He pivoted on his feet to find he was alone in the office. Owen must have hurried to the lobby to see if Damian was possibly perusing around the entrance. So Kane quickly picked up the book, placed it on the coffee table, and promptly followed suit.

The veterinarian lobby was empty besides a woman talking with Kaitlyn at the front desk. Owen seemed to be quickly making his way there. Then, politely asked the woman with the tiny pomeranian clutched in her hands to leave. And once she did, Owen had turned his panicked words onto Katelyn.

"Katelyn, did you see where Damian went? There's absolutely no sign of him anywhere." Kane watched as the girl puffed out her breasts with confidence. Not seeming to be afraid of the infuriated Owen that stood before her. "I told that scrunchy, much of a shifter, to leave. Threatened him with the police if he didn't."

Kane could feel his entire world begin to crumble. The mere thought of Damian roaming the streets once again caused his stomach to do flips. Owen's rage seemed to be blatantly plastered onto his face. Every muscle in his body tensed, and Kane could tell he was about to lunch forward. Instinctively he snatched Owen's hips, dragging him towards his body. Pressing him tightly against his solid chest.

He wasn't going to allow him to assault one of their employees. They have better things to deal with, not at the moment. So why would you do that? Owen's frustration coded his words. Nevertheless, Katelyn seemed unfazed and proud of her actions. "Couldn't you see he was merely using you? Everyone knows shifters are filthy rich. Everything he did was actively tricking you so he could mooch off your money. You should be glad I got rid of that disgusting thing before it did real damage. And you should've seen the way it clutched onto poor Kane here. The creature was obviously trying to get into his pants."

Kane could feel his frustration beginning to bubble up, and a minuscule voice in his head was telling him to release Owen. Allow the man to render the woman to shreds. Instead, however, he tightened his hold in merely sneering at Katelyn. "You're not allowed to make such assumptions. He was ours to make the decision, not you." The lady rolled her eyes sky high, flipping her hair with one of her hands dramatically, making it clear she didn't care for her actions. Nor the consequences that we're going to be laid in front of her.

Kane quickly turned Owen around in his hands and stared intensely into his eyes. "Contact your sister and leave. I'll cover for the rest of our shifts. You find Damian and take him home. Let's hope you can find him before anything unfitting happens." Without missing a heartbeat, Owen leaned upwards, kissing Kane lightly on the lips. The public PDA wasn't his sort of thing; he would make an exception.

And without second thoughts, Owen was bolting from the building. Phone clenched in his hand as he erupted through the front doors. Leaving Kane behind to simply pray that Owen would find Damian. Kaitlyn seemed outraged at their actions and was going to say something. However, Kane turned on the balls of his feet and stormed out before word could escape from the lobby. He took a page out of Owen's playbook and slammed the office door with all his might. He hoped to get a cross to the lady that he would not want to see her anytime soon.