Part 36

Part 36 (Damian Pov)

After cordially speaking with his sister for around twenty minutes outside on the balcony, Damian felt much more secure. Bethany seemed to understand the situation and the severity of the issues. That Nova's consequences could reflect not only on her but Bethany as well. As the two would be accomplices in Nova's ultimate disappearance.

Supposedly, mother had already had a sneaking suspicion that something wasn't quite right. And so, to make sure her children didn't do anything too outlandish, she equipped bodyguards. Continuous surveillance under hawklike eyes, constantly radioing in everything the two sisters did and said. Due to the situation, Bethany had to evade many close calls with their mother. Subsequently, the two of them had lost all ounce of freedom to save Nova from her arranged marriage.

Now Bethany seemed to be more subtle. Allowing her blatant relief of having a wild card, that being Damian himself, upper sleeve. The chance of pulling the wool over their mother's eyes without her suspecting. No amount of planning and calculated adjustments could prepare her for the possible arrival of their dishonorable younger brother, the unwanted son. Damian felt a thrill shooting through him at the prospect of ruining their mother's perfect planning. Knowing that the cold woman couldn't calculate this made everything more triumphant.

However, the ever gloomy cloud hung over his head, reminding him that there were other possibilities at hand. One in which their mother dug her claws into his lovers. He was dragging the two of them down her sickly abyss. Causing the two men Damian had grown so fondly of to turn their backs on him possibly. To recognize their mistake in allowing a stray into their heart. And was he willing to take that sort of risk knowing that he finally obtained something he had wished for all his life? A loving and welcoming family willing to do anything for him and vice versa.

Though now, he also had to think about his two other siblings. His flesh and blood needed assistance, and who is he to turn down the request? Mere hours ago, the thought of helping his sisters was nauseating. Almost gut-wrenching to think he would support two of the people who made his life hell. Nevertheless, the chance of destroying their mother almost outweighed the possible consequences.

However, time seemed to fly in soon; Bethany received a call from their mother. She quite loudly over the phone expressed her frustrations with Bethany and Nova shaking off the bodyguards who are to be watching them for their own safety. Nova had mocked their mother, pretending to be her by placing her hands sassily on her hips. Then, mouthing the infuriating words that spoke over the speakerphone. While Bethany was silent, not daring to make a move as she feared their mother could see through the electronic device.

Bethany had severely apologized, claiming that she was with Christopher planning their future wedding. Nova had tagged along due to her successive and relinquint bugging. Bethany had jabbed Nova with her shoulder, motioning towards the younger girl's phone. It was as if the two communicated silently as Nova immediately began tapping away on her device, texting an unknown number on her phone. If Damian had to guess, it was probably Christopher, hoping to tie up loose ends and make their alibi look reliable.

Mother had merely complained about the lateness, demanding them back immediately. Bethany said they would be on their way. Afterward, Damian found himself on the porch waving goodbye to his two sisters. Pulling Nova into a bruise-inducing hug, whispering promises of swapping stories about their partners into her ear. Nova had squealed excitingly, claiming to have one of the best embarrassing stories. But, when it came to Bethany, Damian smiled and waved. She also smiled crookedly back at Damian, waving limply. And soon, he watched his sisters climb into a taxi and drive away.

As he watched them drive off, tension seemed to wash away from his aching body. Slowly he walked back into the apartment. He was relishing the warm embrace the environment gave to him, welcoming him back into the safety. He groaned loudly as he shuffled his aching bones to the couch, flopping his sore muscles down on the fluffy cushions. He was collapsing on top of Kane's open lap. The man laughed at his antics, quickly massaging his hands into Damian's aching muscles. "Is it safe to say that that went better than expected?"

Damian sighed, turning his head to glimpse directly up at Kane. "To be honest, I expected more screaming and yelling. Maybe a few tears to shed before really making any progress."

"I expected occasional tears, to be honest. Though Nova seems to be rather hard-headed, she probably wouldn't." Owen said from where he was sitting on the loveseat across the way. Damian barely flashed him a watery smile before it was quickly wiped away. Kane seemed to notice immediately the sorrowful expression that faltered his face. "What's wrong? Did something not go the way you thought it would go?"

Damian shook his head, "My father." Owen seems confused, tilting his head to the side like a bewildered puppy. "What does this have to do with your father?" Damian could almost feel it. The burning itching sensation that laid in the back of his eyes. And soon, warm salty tears were cascading down his cheeks, unable to stop the tirade. "My father tried to protect me. He tried to stick up for me, and my mother threatened my sisters. My poor sweet father wanted to do nothing more than save me, and she gave him an ultimatum. It meant sacrificing my sister's safety if he wished to join me."

Damian tried to gulp down a breath; however, the air seemed suffocatingly thick. And as he gasped for breath, he continued to sob. "He wanted to save me. He wanted to do nothing more than to make sure I was okay. And I thought he was like the rest of them. "

Kane quickly lifted Damian up, embracing the boy in a secured, comforting hug. He inclined his head down and began to pepper kisses across Damian's face until stopping on his eyelids. "You couldn't have known," Kane said calmly. "Your father was in a horrendous situation and chose what he thought was best."

Owen quickly dislodged himself from his seat, charging over to throw himself into the open space beside Kane. He thrust himself into the side of them both, leaning down to kiss Damian's forehead. "Kane's right; your father tried his best. Unfortunately, your mother is a sinful woman." At the statement, Damian burst into heavier deep sobs.