0.3 ] A Foreign Home

••●••

••●••

"WHAT A BORE." I mutter.

"Reign, it's important you work on this." Dad sighs.

"How?" I glare, kicking at his wooden desk with my shoe, slouched in the arm chair across from him and his home office.

"Your future, kid. Trust me - this one is different, it's challenging." He's almost pleading.

Dad rarely ever looks desperate. He's usually cold, intimidating, and brooding.

"Challenging? A little murder mystery is challenging?" I don't hide the scoff in my tone.

I figured out who every scream killer was in the first ten minutes of each film. Every knives out mystery film was easy as well - and don't get me started on every adaptation of Sherlock Holmes ever.

"I understand you're a real life Nancy Drew, Reign, I do - but this isn't like cases you've worked on before. It's...it's confusing."

"You're really selling this right now." My sarcasm is dripping.

"Reign." His voice is stern.

"Father." I return the seriousness - and when he shoots me a glare, I dig myself a deeper hole, "Oh - sorry. Director Orion Hayes."

He sends me a pointed look.

"Fine," I groan, "I'll look into it."

"Thank you, Reign." He nods simply, eyes darting back to the pages he has splayed in front of him - a way of dismissing me.

I get up, leave, fight the urge to kick something over on my way out, and make my way down the halls and outside where the garage is.

Apparently something has come up at his work. A place I used to work before it got too boring and I wanted to search the field elsewhere - pick up a more challenging job.

If I'm able to solve this one as quickly as I've solved other cases before, I'm shoving his previous words up his arse and holding this against him forever. Like forever forever. He'll never hear the end of it, not even in the after life.

"Hey, Sam." I greet dad's driver with a wave as I finally enter the garage.

"Reign." He nods.

"Just dad's work, thanks." I say the rehearsed words as Sam hops into the driver's seat, me planting myself in the back.

"Are you returning to your duties?" Sam asks as he pulls out of the house. (Mansion. It's a mansion. Orion Hayes can't have anything less).

"Temporarily." I stop myself from gritting the words out.

"Ah, good. You were always one of the most pleasant and dedicated workers." Sam nods.

Pleasant? I beg to differ. But he's right. I was the best. And then I wasn't.