2.0 ] Monsters

••●••

••●••

MARGEUX AND SHASHA just told us they dealt with Ian Dickens.

Today. 

When they apparently did it all a week ago. 

"You just...shot him? In his office?" Dad - Director Hayes repeats. 

Everyone is silent when she explains the course of events. Silent. I've never seen this team more quiet than they are right now. 

"And then I left through the window." She shrugs.

"Are you kidding me?" Liam finally speaks up, "Ian was a problem because his brother was murdered by someone unidentifiable - you - and now you've done the same to Ian? All this has done is repeat your first mistake. Now we'll need to deal with someone else who found his death suspicious." 

Margeux bites back a smile, and for the first time, I notice the feeling in my stomach at it as light. Margeux is as annoying as anyone. Except Liam. He's the most annoying. And when someone agrees with me on that? When they challenge him? I can't help but feel something ... small ... annoying. 

"Yeah, I killed him," She says, "But I framed someone else. It won't come back to us." 

"How can you be so sure?" Liam crosses his arms. Director Hayes doesn't make a move to stop him. Probably because he agrees and wants an answer as well. 

She sighs as if bored and as if everyone's reputations aren't on the line when they are, "The gun  I used to kill him is one of a kind. He had gotten in that morning, no one knew he owned it, and so I shot him with it. One of his buddies from poker owns one - he told me when he was gloating - and so I thought it would be apparent to the police him and a friend had a bad game and one of them was a sore loser."

It's...actually kind of smart. I'll give her that. She works quickly, efficiently. Probably more-so when she's in the moment instead of planning given this lovely explanation. 

But there are still holes. I can find holes in under a minute. 

"I'm sure his security guards saw you go in the mansion with him," I speak up from my quiet corner, "You obviously don't look like an old cigar smoking gambler. You'll be the first suspect as that last person seen with him."

She tilts her head and smiles, "His friend could have easily sent someone. A woman. Me. He'll still be the prime suspect and they'll just have to let the mystery woman with no trace go." 

"That's quite the gamble." I say. 

"No pun intended?" She grins. 

"Enough bickering," Director Hayes' voice silents us all, "We'll stick with this for now. It's...good. It might work. If it does, well done Margeux. If it doesn't, maybe you are just a fluke."