1.4 ] A Likely Duo

••●••

••●••

OKAY SO MAYBE skipping this morning's meeting without telling anyone could have annoyed and confused Elliot just a little bit.

Truly though, that wasn't my intention.

It was just a really good dream. I was riding dragons and shit.

And Elliot was maybe also in the dream doing things someone you call a friend shouldn't.

So. There's that.

Ian Dickens is an asshole according to my research - maybe one as big as his brother. Those two have officially put me off the name Ian and Callum, and, well, Dickens.

And as much as he is an asshole, he's smart. Unreachable. Never strays from a security guard, never reveals his current address, and never, ever, makes permanent connections outside of his biological family.

Usually I'd call this a vacation.

I'd let the rest of the team work it out - have them earn brownie points with Director Hayes. Mainly because there's no way I could figure this one out on a normal day - but that's the thing.

Today is not a normal day.

We have a newbie. One different, one with a new way of working.

I can use that to my advantage.

And she just so happens to be my new roommate - granting me easy access to her at most times.

"What'ya reading there?" I ask Margeux as I peer over her shoulder.

She closes the book quickly, looking behind herself and almost flinching at my sudden appearance.

"Just a book." She answers.

"Right." I nod.

"Mmhm."

"Wanna work on Ian Dickens together?" I ask.

"You like to get your point across quickly." She chuckles.

"I get that a lot." I push a braid over my shoulder. "So? Wanna?"

"Why are you asking me?" She raises a brow.

"You're new! I like making new people feel welcomed." I smile.

"Uh-huh." She nods slowly.

"I mean, unless you were hoping to get partnered with Reign." I mumble.

She rolls her eyes, "I'm not obsessed with him. I'm interested in him. There's a difference."

"Sure, sure," I sigh, "Whatever you say."

"Fine," Margeux groans, "We can work. Together."

••●••

"Why did I ever agree that we could work together." Margeux groans as she looks up at the tall building I've decided to drive her to.

"Because if you can solve this one - maybe the team will be more accepting. Won't treat you as a hoax." I say, walking through the censor doors. 

"I don't care if they think I'm a hoax, I'm not here to please anyone." Margeux rolls her eyes. 

"Then why are you here, hm?" I turn around to walk backwards. 

She flinches slightly but shakes it off. I caught it though.

"Wasn't really given a choice." She shrugs. 

We continue walking through the Dickens building (one of many) and finally stop at a restroom where I casually lead Margeux in so we can speak with no cameras. 

"Here's the plan," I say, "You sweet talk Ian into giving up information on where he's at with the Callum proceedings."

"How am I going to get to Ian? And alone?" Margeux asks.

"I'll help with that - just promise me you'll flirt with him." I wave a hand. 

"Why couldn't you just flirt with him?" She crosses her arms. 

"Please, I can't do that shit to save my life. Besides, I'm assuming that's how you got to Callum right?" I tilt my head. 

"...I guess so, yeah."

"So there's my point. You're like a creepier less flashy version of a femme fatale, and you'll work beautifully in Team X because we surprisingly enough don't have a seductress or seduct-man-thing yet." I smile, putting both my hands on my hips. 

"You don't?"

"Well I'm awkward as hell, Odyssey only works on women, Vika scares people, all of the boys just suck - so yeah. You're our lucky little miracle." I smile. 

"Ugh," She groans, "I'm really starting to hate that nickname."

"I think miracle is cute." I frown. 

"Yeah, not when it's origin is sarcastic." She grunts. 

I remember Liam trying to start something with her in the conference room before. How Reign stood up for her and how Vika scared the shit out of all of us yet again. 

"Well, if you're able to do this - miracle will become a reality. It won't be sarcastic anymore." I put on a determined face and grab her wrist, ready to head out the door and fool a stupid man like I've found myself doing many times before. 

"Whatever you say." Margeux mumbles, letting me drag her off to possibly her death. But whatever. I almost die everyday. And I'm still here.

••●••

Fun fact: Sasha is named after an online friend ( -literature ), Vika is inspired by Rosa Diaz, and Elliot was meant to be a character in Have Vengeance before I scrapped him and moved him here :)

Sasha trying to rizz up Margeux to work with her:

- Juana.