8.0 ] X Over Y

••●••

••●••

SASHA AND I are finished constructing our file when a Team X meeting is appointed by Director Hayes. The timing feels weird. Like he knows we've been plotting his downfall, but at the same time, if he's here to confront us well...we could just shoot him. 

Which, yes, is a large risk given those loyal to him - but at this point what do any of us have to lose? I only have Sasha to lose really. And she's stubborn enough to not go anywhere. So here we are. Stuck in this conundrum. 

Odyssey waits outside of the meeting room for us when Sasha and I approach, an interesting expression on her face. It's not scared or anything, just most definitely...concerned. Like she knows something is about to go down. 

I suppose I do too. 

"One-worded responses." Odyssey whispers to Sasha and I as we enter. 

We get the memo. We get the unspoken protocol. 

Director Hayes is in there, of course, looking as silent and deadly as ever. The rest of Team X is as well - but also filling the room, is a row of my absolute favourite people.

Team Y. 

Fun. 

"Evening." Hayes says, barely politely. 

I return the greeting with equal tone - Sasha putting on a better act than me. She's better at this stuff. Talking. 

"Listen, I'm sure you know why you're all here..." Director Hayes starts off.

"No." Keagen sends a fake smile, "We don't."

"We're replacing you idiot." Lincoln doesn't miss a beat or chance to spout the words. 

Absolute fucking stupid words might I add.

"What?" Heather blurts, looking between everyone in the room. 

"That's right." Lincoln grins, "So you can suck it and go cry to-"

"Lincoln. Enough." Director Hayes sounds exasperated before he faces our group, "But yes, I figured it's time we move on. That Y becomes the sole group."

"Why?" Sasha asks, eyebrows drawn in. 

"There are lesser numbers." He shrugs, "Unless Reign and Margeux could come back - or if Liam rose from the dead - there's nothing I can do about it."

I internally cringe at the mention of Liam. The way Heather flinches and the way Keagen looks down towards the ground. 

I cringe more-so, at the face that what we all thought would never happen - is happening

"Can't do that." Odyssey shrugs. Her nonchalance bothers me. Like she doesn't understand how big a deal this is. 

Sure. We've...developed. Sort of. We don't really want to work for Hayes anymore. Maybe it could be good to be demoted. Other than the fact that Team Y would be worse tyrants in our position. They would do more harm. And by holding our position, we're protecting people. Even if only a few; people nonetheless.