5.0 ] Y's Karma

••●••

••●••

USUALLY REIGN HAYES' smart attitude with smug and cocky undertones has me reeling. 

But today? Right now? His attitude was so perfect he had me simultaneously forgetting I hated him and actually not being bored during Operation Baby.

Because what the fuck was that? It was beautiful. But where the fuck did it come from?

When he finished up his speech and walked off the stage with his hands in his pockets - the auditorium fell into a polite applaud, minus us, Team X, who started fucking laughing our asses off - Keagen throwing in a loud whistle. 

That speech was cruel. It was terrible. It was sadistic. And all of it made us forget all the shit that has been going on, and die laughing. I've never been this amused before. Never have I ever thought Lincoln would ever be put in his place. But here we are. And from Reign Hayes of all people - who usually avoids verbal conflict whenever he can. 

"Coming from me," Vika leans in to tell me over the noise and ruckus, "That was pretty cool."

I laugh and nod - trying to withhold the need to crack up again when Director Hayes asks for silence and announces the last speaker of the night (usually just the overall supervisor who updates us on new things in our facilities and new weapons available, etc, etc).

But I can't. I think I'm going to cry from laughter. I can't hold it in. And when I look to the side, and see Heather making the same expression - the same need to not laugh - we both lose it. 

"Just go, just go." I snicker, hitting her shoulder and getting her to stand. We abruptly get up, laughing, and exit the auditorium so we can breathe and laugh it all out without getting in trouble. 

"I think I'm going to throw up." She coughs, before proceeding to laugh harder.

"Where did that come from?! Reign obliterated him!" I bend over laughing. 

"I don't know - but I like this version of him." Heather shakes her head, wiping tears from her eyes. 

"What the hell are you guys doing?" A voice interrupts us. 

Heather and I jolt up right, freezing before we see Reign himself standing there (hands in pockets carelessly like he did walking off the stage) and staring at us with the most bored expression.

"Reign." I clear my throat.

 "Does it feel good to have your nerves cleared up?" Heather asks to start a conversation. 

"Nerves?" Reign repeats.

"Yeah like, does it feel good to not be nervous anymore?"

"I wasn't nervous." He shrugs. 

I have to hold back the laugh - I don't know what's wrong with me - the whole situation just has me feeling giddy. I've never seen Lincoln shut down so quickly, and because I've never seen it, I didn't know how beautiful it would be. Just so happens it was Reign's intellect that did it. Which kind of sucks because it's Reign but my hatred for Lincoln is above my hatred for him so it's fine.